2nd Gen DIY custom Full LED Tailights! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen DIY custom Full LED Tailights!

So my rear bumper (When finished) will protect the Taillights, however will prevent me from changing bulbs with out removing the bumper, which is a pain:(

The other issue is, when I turn the lift gate into a tailgate, the top half will no longer open...Agian, can't change bulbs..

So I needed a solution. LED's:D

I found some covers on Ebay for $15 bucks that look like carbon fiber, this is as close to clear that I could get, for off the shelf:rolleyes:

Then, I removed the plastic lens from a factory set of lights and cut a small slot for the main 4" red LED light. I used a 2" amber for the top, and found 2" white led lights for the back ups. These will all be glued in.

LEDTail1.jpg

Then I will glue the new covers on.. I may also paint the now reflective needed black.

LEDTail2.jpg

Total cost...about a $110 bucks or so, not including the spare factory lenses I had.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks like it will turn out pretty good, great idear with those.

That looks interesting.

Have you thought of the affect of LED's on other circuits? Ask Jon about that with his truck, it can affect trans TC lockup or something. Other electrical circuits use the signal from the brakes, and/or lights for functions. If you find the details of what ill affects can happen, the answer can be to isolate the LED circuit. I don't know which may need help, but simply run the circuit with a relay triggered by the OEM circuit wire. Jon hasn't had any problems with his lights that I have heard of since last year. Regards,

Actually

I think the problem I was having was due to the PRO-M maf sensor

Since it has been changed, and tuning completed I have not experienced the T/C issue.
I did nothing to my tail lamp wiring. However, I did add led's to the turn signals and now they flash very rapidly, as if a bulb was burned out-

I like it that way.
Another note--
Since adding LED's to my tails-I have noticed my third brake light doing weird things at night-almost half illuminated and flashing very rapidly-
when setting the PATS alarm ( hitting the left key fob button twice) it glows steady, but not full brightness if that makes any sense.
The Pats puts a small electrical signal thru the wiring--looking for a change ( like when door is opened)
This small current is enough to illuminate the third light leds, since there is no voltage drop across a filament in the tails--
this is my theory-and I am sticking to it.

Thanks Jon, I did not remember if you changed anything after the MAF issue. I'm interested in LED lights because of their better lighting qualities. So I try to learn from what other people have discovered.

Ok I want to take mine apart in the oven but I can't find the thread on the heat and how long to leave it in... Help? I forgot...

Turn the oven on to 300 degrees F and let it preheat for 10 mins. After that, turn it off and put the housing in for 7 mins. Take it out and see if the lense will come off. If not, preheat the oven again and put in for an additional 5 mins. This is what I did on my diamond cuts to open them up.

Will this work?

Yes it should, I think it's only like 10 min. or so.

It's funny this thread just pooped up, I was thinking about it earlier today.

When I moved around the garage, and can't find half of the lights:(

Yes it should, I think it's only like 10 min. or so.

It's funny this thread just pooped up, I was thinking about it earlier today.

When I moved around the garage, and can't find half of the lights:(

yeah my azadas i had laying around got broken so oh well! I think I'm just going to cut the back of mine and glue in the 4" and 2" lights like yours!

Do you think if I just dermal out 4 and 2 inch holes and glue them is all work be good? I have seen guys do it before :)

Take lots of pictures also, let's see them.

Do you think if I just dermal out 4 and 2 inch holes and glue them is all work be good? I have seen guys do it before :)

are you talking right through the front, or through the back and keeping the factory lens?

are you talking right through the front, or through the back and keeping the factory lens?

Cut out the back 4" hole for the brake lights and silicone them in... and use some plastic bag like zip lock to cover any open space with silicone to keep water out. I have seen it done before so I know it will work. I am going to use factory tails. I mean mine are tinted anyways and the stock bulb shots up fine so I know and LED will show even better. And if Randy/Shorty still has his Azzadas(sp) laying around I might bum them from him and try it with them, then tint over them. Sound good?

And Don when I do this I will make a thread for you!

go for it:thumbsup: Just remember you need to swap out your turning indcator fuse, for set up for LED, other wise they will blick super fast, like when a bulb is out.

OK I am getting ready to do this project. Did you mean you bought the lenses on Ebay? I like em but can't find them. Link me?

Sorry, just been busy...I have to go un berry my box to see who mine are made by. I think there no longer available though:(

Now this is what I'm talking about. Wish some company made a set for our 2nd Gen's.

Back