cdsl227

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Hello All,

Does anyone have any idea if the 90'-94' - 3" Trail Master Body Lift will work on a 2001 Explorer XLT.

I understand that the Performance Accessories 2" kit for the 90'-94' works...I was told PA is on back order for about 3 months...

I took the TrailMaster 3" and I'm crossing my fingers!

Please offer any comments or insight before I get itchy and crawl under to get busy!

Thanks!
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will probably work but be prepared to get longer bolts for some of them and fab up new bumper brackets.

??

The kit comes with the longer bolts...

They're not long enough??

Brackets for the bumpers are included, although I do realize they'll have to be modified.

Thanks!

I thought maybe that for 2nd gen explorers, you would need longer bolts. Maybe not.

:)

Food for thought...I gotta get it in one shot.

My only transpo!

Thanks...

I'm sure one of the BL gurus will know. Just keep bumping it, they will eventually read it.

Anybody??

Has anybody used the 90-94 TrailMaster 3" BL on a late model X??

Done!!

Well 3" TrailMaster Body Lift installed!

And it looks great, but 31x10.50's look like MatchBox tires!

Sterring is a little tighter, it doesn't roll bacl the way it used to, I'm hoping it works in...

Now some work for the suspension lift, rims with some backspacing and TIRES!

Thanks for the info, had to fab the front bmpr brackets and drill all the mounts to remove the threads...but it was worth the work.

:)

maybe I should pay attention when I'm typing?? :)

Nah!!

how hard was the install and how hard was it to fab the bumpers?? about how long did it take? sorry ive been looking inot a bl just not really sure :) like you its my only transport gotta get it right in one shot

Chris

Actually the thing that took the longest was trying to get Metric bolts that would go right into the existing threads in the mount.

Major waste of time.

I used the 90-94 Trail Master 3" BL on a 2001XLT.

One good drill bit, some extra nuts...the front bumpr brackets we cut 4 pieces - 5" each from a 1/4" x 36" x 3" (I think that was the size) piece of flat steel.

After I gave up on trying to get bolts it was a breeze.

All the bolts worked out just right...I just had to get enough nuts because the kit was a little shy. I used the bolts from the crash bar for the front bmpr bracket extensions.

It came with bolts for the rear brackets.

Best bet is to get a couple of extra this and that unless there's a hardware store that has grade 8 bolts right across the street from you.

Be prepared to spend a little time with it.

We had to cut the bottom left corner of the fan shroud a little bit to allow it to drop down enough to accommodate the lift, and snip off the left ear on the shroud because it ended up even with the radiator hose.
Relocate the little ground wire at the back of the engine that attaches to the wiper motor I think it is.

The underside of the mount pops right off.

Every thing else worked out perfectly...no problem with the wiring harnesses.

No problems with the brake lines.

You can use long bolts and a few old ratty deepwall sockets from an old knuckle buster ratchet set to lift the assembly that holds the spare so it lines with the body to allow you to insert the crank for the spare.

Oh...and of course the front seats gotta come out.

The steering in mine has a universal inside the cab and the shaft outside extends so that was no problem.

DONE!

Back