32's with Shackles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

32's with Shackles?

I just put on warrior shackles and the torsion twist on my 98 Sport. I was wondering wether to get 31x10.5 or 32X10.5 tires? I have the 16" rims so I heard the 31's won't work. If 32's fit then I will go with them........but I wanted to ask you guys on it. I also wanted to ask if I can go any wider than 10.5 on the stock rims? Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the amount of lift your talking about you should be able to fit the 32's but the quesion is more about the width than the height. Anything wider and your going to get rubbing. Also with the stock rims going that wide will mean that unsightly hourglass shape. Hope this has been helpful.

on the tires and rims...i am sure they make a 31 to fit a 16 or equivalent. and like silverado said youll get that hourglass shape and it might rub. anything larger than 10.5 and you start asking for trouble imho

You have 16x7 rims.

Do just exactly what you want to and enjoy yourself. Many here with torsion/shackle lifts on '95+ Explorers have put on 265/75r16 tires (which are basically the equivalent of 32x10.5) with no problems. There is the possiblity of very minor rubbing in the back of your front fenderwells, which you can remove the inside of your plastic molding inside the fenderwell to clear it. No one will ever notice that difference. Do a test fit with your right front tire at your local tire shop to see if it clears and if so Go for it. There are a few here who bought tires that they soon realized were smaller than what they could really fit.

As far as hourglass figures: well, when I was growing up, Raquel Welch had one and it didn't look bad to me at all. I put 285/75r16s (33x11.5) on my 16x7 rims with absolutely no problems whatsoever concerning the rim's ability to hold the tire. I'll go to 295/75r16s next time. Click on "Gerald's Truck" in my sig line to judge if you think the 285mm wide tires look hourglass ugly (as an aside, "hourglass ugly" tires protect "very expensive" rims on the trails). If they look okay in your opinion, then you'll certainly be satisfied with how the 265mm wide tires will look on yours. It's a matter of opinion and it's your vehicle - do what you like and enjoy your Explorer.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by GJarrett

I'll go to 195/75r16s next time.
Hope that helps.

Lowridin.... Lowridin.... Lowridin.... Nothing like Lowriding.... :D

I have a 99 xlt w/15x7 wheels. I just did the same lift that you are doing. Prior to the lift I had 31.10.5's they barely fit. I now have 31.11.5 I tried 32 11.5's but When you turned the wheels on level ground it would come with in about an quarter of inch to the front bumper. So I just stayed with the 31 11.5s I only rubbed on the front bumper after I jumped it off a dune:) Then it was very minor. Hope that helps. Also if you put pre runner bumpers on you would be able to fit a larger tire. If you have that piece of trim that hooks onto the back of the front wheel wells you can take a sawzall and remove the inside portion and eliminate the potential rubbing.

Ack!

Originally posted by rpenner54

Lowridin.... Lowridin.... Lowridin.... Nothing like Lowriding.... :D

I meant 295/75r16, LOL!

And I'll just go up there and edit my answer, so there!

Re: Ack!

Originally posted by GJarrett

I meant 295/75r16, LOL!

And I'll just go up there and edit my answer, so there!

Hey I know that! Someones just gotta point out the mistakes made though. :D LOL

Back