• Register Today It's free!

4.0 gas mileage

austin26372

Reaction score
City, State
Cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
If my calculations are correct, I'm seeing about 13-14mpg city. I never see the highway and go maybe 10 miles at most/trip.

Is this good, or should I be striving for a higher number? (All el-stock-o, not sure about the gears)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search for Aldive on the forum. He started a quest for 30 mpg and did very well. Its a huge ass thread to read but it contains gold

There's a lot of variability in Explorer's configuration. Many would not agree with me but I believe the OHV is more fuel efficient than the SOHC due to less rotating mass in the valvetrain. While the SOHC has higher output and better breathing at high RPMs, this is really no benefit at cruise or around-town driving. I think you should be doing significantly better than what you are seeing as long as your engine and transmission are in good shape. What is your tire pressure? O2 sensors old or new?

I have the most fuel efficient Explorer configuration IMO (2nd gen rounded body, 4.0 OHV, 2-door, manual trans, 2wd, standard gearing) and I've averaged 20.9 mpg over the past 40,000 miles (yes, i've tracked all 40,000 of them) with an even mix of city and highway.

I'm still not sure how Aldive got such amazing economy, despite his mods.

I have the most fuel efficient Explorer configuration IMO (2nd gen rounded body, 4.0 OHV, 2-door, manual trans, 2wd, standard gearing) and I've averaged 20.9 mpg over the past 40,000 miles (yes, i've tracked all 40,000 of them) with an even mix of city and highway.

I'm still not sure how Aldive got such amazing economy, despite his mods.

I've just read through the entire (more or less) hundred pages of his thread on achieving the 30 MPG goal ...may he rest in peace, that man knew what he was doing and he was one determined individual...

SOHC and 2WD were the key, which makes sense. Unfortunately, my vehicle has none of that.

Synthetic fluids also make a ton of sense. That's something I'll be looking into very shortly...as in within the next two weeks...

Aldive also performed a ton of other mods that got him some unbelievable mileage when combined, but judging from his own posts he really didn't care whether they paid off at all, he just wanted to show how much MPG was really possible...

And he always said that his foot was very light...

That thread is an excellent read for sheer information purposes if nothing else...

FWIW, I just changed the rear bearings and put new/fresh Red Line 75w-140 gear oil in the diff- this tank appears to be doing VERY well. I'm at 275 miles or so and half way between 1/2 and 1/4 on the gauge- I know going by the gauge isn't very accurate but normally I'm much closer to 1/4 at this mileage.

FWIW, I just changed the rear bearings and put new/fresh Red Line 75w-140 gear oil in the diff- this tank appears to be doing VERY well. I'm at 275 miles or so and half way between 1/2 and 1/4 on the gauge- I know going by the gauge isn't very accurate but normally I'm much closer to 1/4 at this mileage.

Synthetics are good mostly to reduce engine wear, although its probably good for 2-3% in economy if you change the transmission fluid and motor oil.

Remember to keep tires at around 35 psi too.

Remember to keep tires at around 35 psi too.

At the risk of sounding stupid (not the first time, but I'm new to Exploreres...LOL) why does the driver's door side plate say 26 PSI - at least it does on my vehicle...I always found this strange...:scratch:

^Remember the Firestone Fiasco of the late 90's/00's (or whenever it was)? The low starting pressure was part of the problem. Part of the solution was to increase the air pressure. Most got an updated door sticker.

^Remember the Firestone Fiasco of the late 90's/00's (or whenever it was)? The low starting pressure was part of the problem. Part of the solution was to increase the air pressure. Most got an updated door sticker.

I certainly do remember it...never knew about the low air pressure part of the equation, though...

So it would be safe to bump up my new Michelins (LTX MS 235/75/15) all the way to 35? I haven't even installed them yet...

TIA

I certainly do remember it...never knew about the low air pressure part of the equation, though...

So it would be safe to bump up my new Michelins (LTX MS 235/75/15) all the way to 35? I haven't even installed them yet...

TIA

It will be fine,I run both of mine at 35psi.:D

My 98 Sport 2wd 3.73 gears SOHC gets 16 city and 19-21 hwy, depending on if I keep it at 70mph. If you're in a 4x4 4DR with one of the tow packages (gearing) I could see your city mileage not being unreasonable. My 07 Stang SOHC 3.23 convertible gets 26 hwy @ 65mph cruise control with everyone cussing me and passing, so these engines aren't exactly gas mileage friendly in my experience.

Hi All, Im new to the fourm. I own a 1998 Ford Explorer sport (4.0L OHV) and the best I have ever gotten with regards to fuel mileage is 18.5mpg. I used to own a 2005 Dodge Durango (V8 Hemi) and that was much better on fuel, as well as being much faster. Here
is an acceleration video of the durango if your interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruBxD__Tw7E

A lot of it has to do with how you drive and where you drive...

I used to get anywhere between 17-19MPG average with a slipping clutch and horrendous tires...I expect to do a lot better with a rebuilt trans, new clutch and tires. Lot of over-the-hills driving and quite a bit of highway in that mix.

My EX is 4.0 OHV, 5-speed manual, 4x4 with 225K on it...

Back