4.7L vs 5.0L | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.7L vs 5.0L

What do ya guys think?
98 Windsor 5.0L V8 Explorer XLT vs 03 Magnum 4.7L V8 Durango SXT Sport

Durango 2WD [Stock]: 235hp
Explorer AWD [Stock]: 215hp

She said she'll race me, but won't make a bet because I have the intake and catback.

She's completely stock, and her truck came with 30" tires.
I've got a MAC CAI/MAC Catback, 3.73LS Gear Ratio and 31" tires.

She also has probably around 1000Lbs give or take more weight than me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You mean the 5.2? The 1st Gen Durango came with the following engines:
4.7 Powertech V8
5.2 Magnum V8
5.9 Magnum V8

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You mean the 5.2? The 1st Gen Durango came with the following engines:
4.7 Powertech V8
5.2 Magnum V8
5.9 Magnum V8

I'd imagine he means the 4.7L. the 5.2 adds torque and the sport would've been left in the dust.

challenge her to a rally race so your AWD shines as her 2WD spins and spins lol.

I highly doubt she'd want to Rally..... The most I could see her wanting to do is just drag.
Or a sprint.

I highly doubt she'd want to Rally..... The most I could see her wanting to do is just drag.
Or a sprint.

lol i figured as much, was just a suggestion.

AWD vehicles are great for Rallys, and melleys (down and back).

you should do fine, just don't fudge up your launch.

Yea, I need to practice the launch thing more..

I let off too easy, I fear braking something by holding the brake any harder... idk.. blah

Yea, I need to practice the launch thing more..

I let off too easy, I fear braking something by holding the brake any harder... idk.. blah

Yeah i hear ya

But holding the break and revving at 2K for a few seconds before you punch it won't damage your truck...it's retards who rev at 5K for longer periods that will f up their ride.

Ah..

It still has to stress something out, right?..

The most I'll push it is 2500rpm.. at Most..

Ah..

It still has to stress something out, right?..

The most I'll push it is 2500rpm.. at Most..

of course it's stressing something out, but the stress is very minimal and the vehicle is meant to be able to handle a certain amount of stress.

I am surprised you uys think the Durango would be an Expo.
http://www.carsdirect.com/2003/dodge/durango/specs
One thing to note here is that the Magnum 4.7 was available in that year, and that motor is a slug !
Even if it was the better motor, his is modded a bit, bringing them to being pretty close.
The Durango is also every bit as heavy as an Explorer, check the specs pages online.
That and one site had the gearing listed at 3.55, a bit taller than the 3.73 in a AWD expo.

I dunno, I see it going like this, our boy stalls his up as high as he can, gets a nice spin free launch, gets about a half car jump (asssuming they're both about the same off the line) while she spins a bit.
By the time she really gets going, he's got enough of a buffer zone that any extra HP she might have will get nullified by her taller gearing.

I say do it, I'd throw five bucks on the Expo. But i really think it'l come down to reaction time and who knows how to get their respective vehicle off he line best.
Run it !

I am surprised you uys think the Durango would be an Expo.
http://www.carsdirect.com/2003/dodge/durango/specs
One thing to note here is that the Magnum 4.7 was available in that year, and that motor is a slug !
Even if it was the better motor, his is modded a bit, bringing them to being pretty close.
The Durango is also every bit as heavy as an Explorer, check the specs pages online.
That and one site had the gearing listed at 3.55, a bit taller than the 3.73 in a AWD expo.

I dunno, I see it going like this, our boy stalls his up as high as he can, gets a nice spin free launch, gets about a half car jump (asssuming they're both about the same off the line) while she spins a bit.
By the time she really gets going, he's got enough of a buffer zone that any extra HP she might have will get nullified by her taller gearing.

I say do it, I'd throw five bucks on the Expo. But i really think it'l come down to reaction time and who knows how to get their respective vehicle off he line best.
Run it !

I raced a 4x4 2001 Durango 4.7 from a...dead stop...35 mph roll......50 mph roll...

My truck is completely stock 5.0 AWD...

The Durango had 3:55s 235/75 15 tires and 105k miles...

Every time the Dodge came out on top...

i thought if you put it in 2nd it will go from frist to second and then no farther? definatly run with OD off (you will burn up the OD clutches on top of being slow). if your racing you should already know that you are going to wear your 'sploder out faster. are you doing it on the street or strip? if your doing it strip, press the brakes all the way down at the line, then just after the yellow lights on the tree light up push the gas to the floor, then once you feel the gas hit the floor drop the brake. this will only be spining the converter for about 1/2 to 2/3 of a second and will let you get a higher RPM launch.

Power wise we (I have a 97 5.0 AWD) cant be any better than 170whp asuming everything is perfect (no mechanical problems, perfect comp presure). auto trannys and AWD transfercases rob tons of power VS 2wd and manual trannys.

if you really want to win that bad, drop the front drive shaft. if your sploder has 3.73 and LSD like mine than it wont even spin the stock size tires in "2wd" under a launch like descibed above, let alone 31s. That way it you have less drive line loss (maybe up to 180-190).

and as for the power adders, we would all like to think that an intake and high flow mufflers would yeild +50hp, but its more like 10-15hp at the fly wheel.

In "2" the trans starts and stays in "2". It's for getting going when it's real slippery.

I raced a 4x4 2001 Durango 4.7 from a...dead stop...35 mph roll......50 mph roll...

Well I've got to say I am surprised, but I can't argue with the facts..:salute:

She has I think either P245 or P255, and a lot less experience, mine's also not "stock"

Scruff made good points.

Another thing to note would be, she has no idea about OD and will most likely leave it on.
Compared to her, I'm an expert. haha.. but she's learning. I don't know what's going to happen... but it's going to be interesting..

Perhaps, it comes down to a...
Experienced driver with an slower vehicle vs an Amateur driver with a faster vehicle. [I think we all know the answer to that.]

It's not so much about winning.. [well.. yea it is...] But.. I think this 5.0L should naturally be faster than the 4.7L... I mean it should just naturally be that way.. And if it's not.... well time to make it that way... [Damn, I need TMH]
Perhaps a performance tune with my intake/catback in mind would give me the edge? I've also been debating the EE Trans-Go Shift kit for the 5.0..

She needs to handle her vehicle a bit more in the summer, she got it during the winter so she hasn't had a good chance to really push it.

i thought if you put it in 2nd it will go from frist to second and then no farther? definatly run with OD off (you will burn up the OD clutches on top of being slow). if your racing you should already know that you are going to wear your 'sploder out faster. are you doing it on the street or strip? if your doing it strip, press the brakes all the way down at the line, then just after the yellow lights on the tree light up push the gas to the floor, then once you feel the gas hit the floor drop the brake. this will only be spining the converter for about 1/2 to 2/3 of a second and will let you get a higher RPM launch.

Power wise we (I have a 97 5.0 AWD) cant be any better than 170whp asuming everything is perfect (no mechanical problems, perfect comp presure). auto trannys and AWD transfercases rob tons of power VS 2wd and manual trannys.

if you really want to win that bad, drop the front drive shaft. if your sploder has 3.73 and LSD like mine than it wont even spin the stock size tires in "2wd" under a launch like descibed above, let alone 31s. That way it you have less drive line loss (maybe up to 180-190).

and as for the power adders, we would all like to think that an intake and high flow mufflers would yeild +50hp, but its more like 10-15hp at the fly wheel.

I wish it gave 50HP.. ha.. But I know, 10-15hp max for my intake/cat back. Which I was thinking brought me closer to her rating.

This is a good thread because me and my friends are about to hit the tracks in 2 weeks. I need some good tips to get the best advantage. I got alot of friends that are going to watch also. I raced my friend last weekend. In his Ford Contour 5 speed. Beat him all the way to 85 before I let out of it. Ahhh gotta love TMH's:D

You should have gone from a 25ish mph roll, you'll get a hard kickdown to 1st and it will take off hard. I think my tuner helps out a lot on the downshift though.

the more and more I read this thread, the more and more I 1) Can't wait to get my new toy 2) can't wait to mod it 3) can't wait to race it.

I want to get mine up to 210-215 at the wheels so I can have at least a semi-fair race against my friend's Stage 2 Saab 9-3 pushing about 210 at the wheels...although i think unless i put an SC or a stroker kit in he'll beat me cuz he has a 5 speed and a racing clutch.

It'd be cool if there was an area on here to post Wins/Losses and pics/vids

So when is this race?
Webcam? Video?
Jon, you mean me? If so the race is at KCIR on the 30th. And I found the good old video camera too. If I can find a USB cord for it(8 year old Sony) then I'm gonna start making youtube videos. We actually are kinda like an unoffical car club up here and we need a camera. But yeah jon I raced Geoff and damn is the Explorer pullin hard. And you're supposed to have O/D off when u race?

Back