4.7L vs 5.0L | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.7L vs 5.0L

What do ya guys think?
98 Windsor 5.0L V8 Explorer XLT vs 03 Magnum 4.7L V8 Durango SXT Sport

Durango 2WD [Stock]: 235hp
Explorer AWD [Stock]: 215hp

She said she'll race me, but won't make a bet because I have the intake and catback.

She's completely stock, and her truck came with 30" tires.
I've got a MAC CAI/MAC Catback, 3.73LS Gear Ratio and 31" tires.

She also has probably around 1000Lbs give or take more weight than me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hm... I just took her Durango for a test drive to see about the tranny.. [I didn't notice a single thing wrong]

But more on topic.. that thing is pretty snappy... I don't know if I have much of a chance. I'm starting to realize how much acceleration I lost with 31's..
Would 4.10 gears fix this?
Any information on a gear change?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

A gear change from 3.73's to 4.10 isn't nearly worth it to gain some acceleration.

Isn't the J-Mod a Ford Transmission thing?
Like our SOHC Explorer transmissions, the 2nd Gen Durango had transmission issues handling all the extra weight from an SUV body.. I assume they used the same transmissions as in the same generation Dakota.. which is much lighter.

A lot of the Dodges of that era had trans issues. That should be a first gen durango as it was the first body style, the 2nd gens are the newer, bigger ones that cane out in 04 or 05. The cost of a gear swap is well over $1000 and just for 31's and a V8, is not worth the cost.

Swapping lighter tires for one race would be easier. My truck was noticeably faster with my first 17" tires, than my 18's have been.

Isn't the J-Mod a Ford Transmission thing?
Like our SOHC Explorer transmissions, the 2nd Gen Durango had transmission issues handling all the extra weight from an SUV body.. I assume they used the same transmissions as in the same generation Dakota.. which is much lighter.

Oh right, its a dirty dodge :thumbdwn:
yeah its a ford transmission thing

My 98 is still stock, the one time I tested it was with my first 18's, 265/60's, and it was right at 18 seconds. Those first 18's were 72.5 pounds each, stock was 53 pounds for 235/75/15's. Rotating weight is very bad for braking and acceleration.

So stock figure you have under 200hp with AWD, at the wheels. The trans and TC sucks up about 50hp, or close to it. My new 347 will make over 300hp, so after tuning I might have 270HP at the wheels. Getting an SUV to do better than 15 seconds is a fair goal.

I'm about to go from my stock 15x7 to 15x8, that's not going to affect anything as far as how much contacts the road n whatnot, is it? Forget weight right now.. just the size.. say they're the same weight.. would it change anything?
[How much do the Stock rims weigh anyways?]

I have 31's on my Ranger and a set of four 16x7 steelies with 235/65 street tires on my hot rod, perhaps I should so some comparison testing ?
Of course my Ranger is a slug but it might show a percentage difference.

Might work.. to give a general idea. What gears does it have?

Might work.. to give a general idea. What gears does it have?

I am not 100% but I think being a 4x4 99 it has 3.73's..
I'll check Wednesday when i get home if you want.

3.73 would be the most likely, but it could be different.

What do you guys think my odds are with this 90 Octane Street/Performance tune I got from James at Henson Performance?

A little better. If her trans isn't fragged when you race I'd prob. give 3 to 4 her.

The PCM tune is very important, some vehicles are quite a bit off when stock.

BTW, the 31" tires affect the performance not much by diameter, but by the extra weight. Rotational weight is the most important weight in the vehicle affecting acceleration and braking.

What was said in the other thread may be true, you may have lost as much from heavier tires as has been gained with the other improvements. The only way to know is with testing, but weighing the actual wheel/tire can give a good idea. I lost a ton of performance when I switched to 30.6" 18's, the weight per wheel/tire went up by 14 pounds. My current 18's are about five pounds lighter and 30" tall. Regards,

A few months back I raced a 2005 4.7 magnum Crew cab Dakota from a stop light. Needless to say I won and he had a hell of a time trying to catch up. And this was BEFORE the tuner.

A few months back I raced a 2005 4.7 magnum Crew cab Dakota from a stop light. Needless to say I won and he had a hell of a time trying to catch up. And this was BEFORE the tuner.

I had a 5.7 extend cab 2002 wrecked that...
My old friend had a 2000 5.7 and I beat it every time...I always pulled away(in my 5.0).

Yeah That magnum motor is way overrated. Both of our vehicles were loaded at the time and I also had 65lbs of subs in the back as well. Ok so now my friend is telling me to race someone they know with a 2001 Dakota 5.9. Do I stand any chance against that??

Yeah That magnum motor is way overrated. Both of our vehicles were loaded at the time and I also had 65lbs of subs in the back as well. Ok so now my friend is telling me to race someone they know with a 2001 Dakota 5.9. Do I stand any chance against that??

You might if he cannot hook up-
get your truck on a diet and give it a go

Ditto, I wouldn't bet on it. I saw one on Pass Time that I think ran in the low 16's.

Back