How to: - 4406 Shifting: How To | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 4406 Shifting: How To

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
This is an excellent thread, I am definately watching this one, since Im swapping in a 4406 when I do the SAS:D :thumbsup:

Daniel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did you all use for your gasket between the tranny and the tcase? I checked at Napa and Advanced and neither had the gasket.

I went and bought a sheet of FelPro 1/16 gasket paper. I carefully peeled the chewed up one off of the old 4404 to use as a template then cut it out with a razor blade. Of course after i spent all this time and $ on paper, '97V8 calls me and tells me he just used black RTV:scratch:

I like Ultra Copper also... it's really orange. It's the highest heat RTV, I use Ultra Black and Ultra Gray for color choices.

Anyway, the gasket is better to use if you get it ahead of time. You can spray it lightly with High Tack(or RTV) and it becomes a very fast install versus the RTV.

I have a 97 mounty 5.0 all wheel drive. Transfer case just went out. Anyone know where I can get a used or rebuilt one for a decent price? I would be willing to go back to the 4404 or upgrade to the 4406 if it's not to much trouble. I have never done this job before but I am very mech. inclined and willing to jump right in. I shop offer to do the labor for 500.00, is this a fair price? Sorry for all the question but I'm new to this vehicle, Love it, just wanna fix it. Thanks Rob

you have PM gibson

Most of us who have done it have the D35 IFS out front still. However, I see you have a sport. This swap is generally for 5.0LV8-4R70W-AWD equipped vehicles.

Back