4WD lights work as expected, but no 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD lights work as expected, but no 4WD

02Sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer V6
Hello,

I've been reading a bunch of posts on 4WD problems, but I still need a little guidance. I've got a 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer. When I start it, everything seems normal. The low and high lights both come on, and then go out without flashing or acting strange. As far as the lights are concerned, my 4WD works. If I push high, the high light comes on right away, but I still only have power to the rear. In neutral, I hold the brake and press low, and it flashes for a few seconds, and then the low light comes on as expected - I do hear some clicks during the switch to low. However, I still only get power to the rear wheels. The only sounds I hear are clicks in going to and coming out of low. From what I've read, this doesn't sound like it would be the module behind the glove box (I had that replaced in '05). What else could it be? The shift motor? Could anyone give me some pointers on how to diagnose if it is indeed the shift motor, and how to replace that?

Thanks much!
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you get this fixed. I am having the same exact problem and got no answers on it aswell.

I took the switch motor off, and it was turning as expected when shifting to low. I hooked that back up, and got all 4 wheels off the ground (ramps and jackstands). I tried 4x4 high and low, and the front wheels actually did turn a bit, but slowly and without much power. This was almost a year ago, but I think what I determined from further reading is that my transfer case clutch must be worn out (transfer case rebuild) - and I decided it wasn't worth fixing ($$). I've got 170,000 miles and will be getting a new vehicle within a few months now anyway - maybe the new 2011 Explorer. I would say you don't need to remove the switch motor - just shift into 4x4 low and listen closely. If you hear some noises as it's flashing and they stop when the light comes on solid, I would assume that your shift motor is fine like mine was.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Yea that definantly works thanks. I kinda had a feeling that was a possibility. I still am going to swap my module out cause it's cheaper of the two lol. Thanks for the info

If your 4x4 light flashes when the truck is on, then you have a bad speed sensor. Two are located on the transfer case. I had the same issue of working lights in high and low. My shift motor turned when high or low was selected.

The speed sensors measure the front and rear drive shaft speeds in comparison to each other. If those sensors are not working then the clutch in the transfer case will not engage and send power to the front wheels.

I changed both of my sensors today and everything is working again.
Here is my Thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299219

Back