• Register Today It's free!

4x4 problem

roms63

Reaction score
City, State
new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02
I just got my 2002 explorer and want to turn the 4wd OFF!! but have no buttons for it I only have 4x4 auto 4x4 high and 4x4 low, while driving the 4x4 high turns on by itself
then turns off, Can someone tell me how to turn it OFF?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4x4 is off unless your rear wheels slip, then the Auto4x4 engages. In normal driving your explorer is in 2wd mode. Without doing a custom modification like the brown wire mod you cannot turn the 4x4Auto off.

thanks for the info....but what is the brown wire mod.....

where is the brown wire...??

the brown wire is a wire that runs to the transfer case, when you get rear wheel slipage, a signal is sent down the brown wire and the transfer case engages. some people cut this wire and put in a switch and a relay. in doing so you can stop the transfer case from engaging on its own. I did it to my 02 and it works fine.

here take a look at this
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194875

Just a warning:

If the 4wd is engaging, you could be just masking a bigger problem by doing the BWM. And this problem could grow over time and eventually bite you back.

Just a warning:

If the 4wd is engaging, you could be just masking a bigger problem by doing the BWM. And this problem could grow over time and eventually bite you back.

Good Point!!

Just a warning:

Not really. The 4wd engages when auto mode when the rear wheels slip or when a sudden burst of acceleration may cause slippage. Cutting the brown wire just stops the transfer case from going into 4WD.

Oh, and you don't need a relay - the voltage to the transfer case is under 5V, and under 3 Amps, so a normal 10Amp, 12V switch is all you need.

What is curious to me is that your 4x4 appears to be auto-engaging with some frequency.

I have had my 02 since May 2002, and have almost never had it go into 4wd, except when I intentionally stomped on it in heavy ice/snow or in the sand, just to exercise it and to learn it limits. In all cases, it kicked in when the rears were just beginning to lose grip.

How often is yours going into 4wd and under what conditions? You might have indications of another problem.

Actually, when ours comes on, the 4WD high light doesn't light up - I actually think that light only lights up either when you select the 4wd high button, or if there is an issue with the transmission - ie, it's a warning sign. I only know when mine engages as I have a separate light that illuminates when the transfer case gets a signal to put it into 4WD when in auto mode, and it is constantly illuminated if I hit the Auto high button and force 4WD to be engaged.

My '02 has this problem also

A week after I had the pinion seals replaced in my front and rear differentials my 4x4 High light flashes 6-8 times then stays out for a while. Another troubling item is my Explorer seems to shifting into 4x4 Low on its own when the engine is cold and I am slowly entering a 90* turn.

Back