• Register Today It's free!

4x4 problems

k4e2n01234

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt 5spd man. auto 4x4
So I have a 92 xlt 5 spd manuel trans with automatic 4x4.The 4x4 button doesnt work no light no engageing of anything so as far as i can tell the motor doesnt work but im not exactly sure. I went under to the TC and took off the shift motor and looked at it nothing seemed wrong with the motor itself but the yellow wire that is connected to it is not completely cut but is sort of pinched looking in about 3 places still attached though. also when i put the motor back in i turned it until it engaged the 4x4 and the light on the dash came on telling me the 4x4 was on and then i pushed the button and i guess the computer sensed that maybe it had traveled to far and readjusted everything back to normal. but what is weird is that the button again does nothing. i pushed it and i heard clicking in the back where the computer is but nothing from underneath at the TC so I dont know is it the wire the motor or something else?:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same thing happen to my 91 i replaced the motor and that took care of it its a easy and rather cheap fix

sorry i saw the thread in the new post section and there was no sticky on the top i thought it was just a normal question

try doing what i did..on my old 92 that i had,the motor got stuck..if you hear the computer in the back,the motor is stuck..try tapping on it with a hammer a few times,and try to engage it,i had to do it a few times to get mine to engage,and once it did,it never gave me a problem,this is exactly what i did
hit the 4x4 button,didnt engage but heard the comp.
got under truck,tapped on the tc motor with a hammer for about 5 seconds,it didnt work,and i did it again and it worked..let me know if it works for you..
dont be afraid to hit it hard but dont hit it like your trying to kill someone..lol

sorry i saw the thread in the new post section and there was no sticky on the top i thought it was just a normal question

No problem.. I just wanted to make sure you were pointed in the right direction... :)

In my '92 my 4x4 works great but, when i put it in 4w low there is a "thump" as it drops into gear?? is that normal for a ford??? i am used to chevy's thats all i ever owned in my life... my '92 is my first ford (not happy about it).

In my '92 my 4x4 works great but, when i put it in 4w low there is a "thump" as it drops into gear?? is that normal for a ford??? i am used to chevy's thats all i ever owned in my life... my '92 is my first ford (not happy about it).

There will be a very slight thump and vibration when you shift into 4x4H. The shift into 4x4L will be even less noticeable. That being said getting into a 17yr old vehicle can mean alot of maintenance issues..

If you prefer a Chevy to a Ford then why get a Ford in the 1st place? :scratch: Sell the Ford and get the Chevy you want and then you'll be happier.

If you prefer a Chevy to a Ford then why get a Ford in the 1st place? :scratch: Sell the Ford and get the Chevy you want and then you'll be happier.

Because its was free, its in my wifes name, and its only used as a 4x4 BEATER vehicle;)

my 92 explorer that i had before my current 92 did that,was quiet going into 4x4,but when going into 4x4L it was loud,it was low on diff fluid,my current 92 is quiet going into 4x4 and 4x4L

my 92 explorer that i had before my current 92 did that,was quiet going into 4x4,but when going into 4x4L it was loud,it was low on diff fluid,my current 92 is quiet going into 4x4 and 4x4L

When you added the diff fluid did it then go into 4x4L quiet?

post about your truck in your own thread. you thread thief.:p:

I would not recommend hitting the motor with a hammer. Tapping it gently with a mallet is safer. The magnet glued into the motor housing is brittle and can be cracked or broken.

Most shift motor problems are due to the plastic stop bushing in the motor gear case disintegrating. When this happens, the motor overruns the stop and the shaft position sensor gets lost and sends the wrong info to the 4X4 shift computer in the back. If the computer isn't sure of the motor position it does nothing when the 4X4 buttons are pushed.

Its an easy fix and there is a thread for it with pictures. Disconnect the shift motor (you will have to take the connector apart to push out the wire that is hard-wired into the transfer case). Remove the shift motor. Mark the gear case cover position so it can go back on exactly the same way (it can be rotated to adjust the position sensor, but you don't want to do this normally). Remove the gear case cover (needs security torx driver, high strength). Clean out the bits of broken plastic bushing. Make a new bushing with a short piece of fuel line or plastic tubing and slip this over the stop stud. Lube the worm gear and reassemble.

Bob

Back