4x4 troubleshooting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 troubleshooting

Sun Diego

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
My 02 XLT 4x4 is not responding to the 4x4 push buttons on the dash. Usually I drive around in auto 4x4, and I should be able to select low or high on demand 4x4. None of the lights work on this particular panel, and it is just broken. Funny thing is, I never use the buttons as I leave it in auto.

Any ideas? I hope this is a quick fix. Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

contact SilverStateFordParts.com
they will be the cheapest from my experience
You will need to supply them with your VIN and possibly part number off your original 4x4CM
Its behind the glove box. squeeze both sides to let the glove box door swing down, you'll see a black box 5x4x1" with 2 wire harness on it.
part number will be written on it.

First check to make sure the wire harness is plugged in properly. I ordered the new part and when I went to install it I found it was just unplugged. Just flip your glove box down and you'll see the module sitting right there. Look for any loose wire harnesses. If everything is plugged in correctly then order the module.

You guys are awesome!

OK, copy all. I did replace the battery a while back, and I think this is what caused the problem. Hopefully the new module will not go bad if I replace the battery again in the future.

Is it critical that I have the Ford Dealership install the part? On a previous thread concerning this exact topic, someone said that the dealership has to plug in a bunch of info into the module. Is this true or can I do it on my own?

Either way, I'll be glad to get my ride back to fully mission capable status. You guys rock, thanks so much for your time.

Nope, this is plug 'n play DIY. Get the new module from silverstateford as mentioned. And Steve is right - you should verify the fuses are good and the module connections are sat before replacing the module.

Thanks Steve and rrgone. I flipped the glove box down and there she was! I think the wire harness is attached properly, and after reading the 8 page thread rrgone gave me, I have a feeling it is a bad CM. Thanks guys.

Back