5.0 explorer engine problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 explorer engine problems

milldogg22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Explorer 5.0 AWD
i have a 98' 5.0 explorer, have a issue with it. it will start up and idle, but it has not power and will hardly pull itself. in fact it will not even shift. i thought the cats where pluged and pulled the exhaust off, and with open exhaust it does the same thing. now for the werid thing, if you shut if off and restart it and put it in gear real fast, it will pull itself for like 15 yards then fall back into its no power issue, it will hardly pull its self up on my car trailer. i do know one of the coil packs isnt firing one cly. i have gotten 2 more packs but havent installed them. even with one cly not firing i would thing at least it would pull itself down the road and shift, i also have a code for shift sol code too, but any input would help thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any other codes? Why not put the new coil pack on and see if that improves it?

Awd? 2wd?

it has alot of codes that come up, 2 for the shift solenoid, some for o2 sensors, i didnt write all of them down. its a AWD explorer. will it go into a limp mode in the computer so bad where it will not have enought power to move itself?

yea when i got it the guy put new o2 sensors on it, but he didn't tie up the wires one sensor wiring rubbed through on the front drive shaft. i fixed that and cleared the codes but it still does not have enough power to pull itself, unless you put in neutral and restart it, then ya have about 30 seconds of power until it goes back into "wont pull itself mode". gonna swap out the coil packs soon and see what that does.

sounds more like a tranny problem...torque converter? maybe it is not starting out is 1st??

I'd say I'd be getting the pressure from the fuel pump checked.

I had an exp that had bad shift solonoids, but it still ran the same. It just wouldn't shift correctly, lol....

well we did check fuel pressure and it was within spec, yea i was first thinking that it was starting out in like 2nd or something, due to the way it feels. but in reverse it does the same thing. can put it to the floor and it acts like it wants to go but wont pull itself. i guess i am just goin to start writing down the codes and attack it that way and hope i get to the bottom of why it has no power. snow is on the ground now and it be fun to have awd lol. thanks for all of your inputs, its greatly appreciated

Is it revving high when trying to go or is it like it is bogging down? If it is revving up but just won't pull it could be the tranny fluid pump or the torque converter.

no its not rev'n up when trying to take off, it feels like the exhaust is all pluged up and its restricting flow, but i cut off the exhaust and it still does the same thing, just louder lol. but turn key off and restart and it will have power for about 30 secs. then fall back on its face again, like the computer is shutting it down after a short time period

How is the idle? Definitely replace the coil pack. Maybe be you are down more than 1 cylinder. What's the condition of the plugs and wires? IAC?

does it die after a while??

alright to the people that responded to my post, thank you very much. i have gotten the my explorer running a lot better!!! turns out it had a blown fuse that runs the cam or cranks sensor, 02 sensors and a few others. i replaced that fuse, and it took a bit, but fired up and had its power back!! very happy, but i am very madd at myself for cuttin the exhaust off of it lol, now i got to weld it back on. i also did install different coil packs and i got my 8th cly back firing again too. i guess the shop tip of the day is allways check the fuses no matter what first......

Glad you're all set again! Darn good thing it WASN'T a tranny issue :)

LOL nice work Jon!!!

Wires wrapped around D shaft = yikes! Those HEGO heaters are a 35 amp circuit I believe.....thats alot of juice, short = thank god for fuses

Back