5.0 Fuel pressure test gauge? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Fuel pressure test gauge?

You need egr and you need downstream oxygen sensors or it will never run correctly. The pcm is looking for feedback from all of the sensors you cannot just remove some and expect it to run properly. Even a small egr issue and code can cause drivability issues
Thanks for all the help guys. I just replaced the fuel injectors and it runs great now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes typically the pcm can detect a bad injector rather quickly and the code comes back fast

The injectors are getting older now (20+ years) I have been replacing them more and more

You can remove your injectors and bench test them quite easily, lots of YouTube’s on this

Start w basics always
Fuel pressure
Firing order
Plug and wire condition
So I just got a tune for my 2001 ford explorer 5.0 and it doesn't run well at all. It's running decent on factory computer but it's still running weak. I have 65 psi at idle but at wot in gear it holds about 52 psi. Is that normal for it to drop that much or is that my problem

That is a little low I would like to see it hold at more
Like 60-62 Psi
Pressure rating is actually 64 psi plus or minus 8 psi so 52 is low

It should be running perfectly with the stock pcm before you attempt to install a tune

What mods do you have?

That is a little low I would like to see it hold at more
Like 60-62 Psi
Pressure rating is actually 64 psi plus or minus 8 psi so 52 is low

It should be running perfectly with the stock pcm before you attempt to install a tune

What mods do you have?
I got a cam and exhaust to the factory headers and a high flow airfilter. Could low psi cause to run worse with a tune than on factory?

Yes and no
Low psi will not allow the fuel to atomize when it leaves the injector more like a drip, so it will run like crapola
With the fuel psi dropping to 52 I think you maybe onto something for sure, but that doesn’t mean stop looking other places. 52 is low for this system for sure but it’s only dripping at wot so it should not really effect your idle
What is the 5.0 doing? Any codes? Miles?

Is the tune set for factory injectors? To me a “tune” should be done on a dyno with real world numbers.. having the computer base program changed to change shift points or bump up power a little to take advantage of breathing mods is ok but it really should be done on a dyno

Yes and no
Low psi will not allow the fuel to atomize when it leaves the injector more like a drip, so it will run like crapola
With the fuel psi dropping to 52 I think you maybe onto something for sure, but that doesn’t mean stop looking other places. 52 is low for this system for sure but it’s only dripping at wot so it should not really effect your idle
What is the 5.0 doing? Any codes? Miles?

Is the tune set for factory injectors? To me a “tune” should be done on a dyno with real world numbers.. having the computer base program changed to change shift points or bump up power a little to take advantage of breathing mods is ok but it really should be done on a dyno
It idles and revs fine even with the tune but under load with the tune it runs like crap. Without the tune it runs way better but still doesn't run as strong as I think it should. It has no codes other than for the rear o2s that are gone.

Allright well the. If it runs fine until under load and under load the psi drops to 52 then yes you have a fuel pressure issue it should stay rock steady around 64 psi
I would replace pump strainer and filter the tune is for sure going to bump up fuel delivery asking more of those 19# injectors.
64 psi is the goal plus or
Minus 8 psi, 52 is simply too low to properly spray the fuel it is right at the bottom of what is “acceptable” but it should not stay there it should dip to 52 and then come back up. Your pump cannot
Keep up with demand. Good work as this can be a difficult issue to zero in on because they (returnless fuel) like to still run “okay” with as little as 48 psi I have seen more then once

I'd suggest this pump its what I use in my truck which also has a tune
Walbro GSS342 Intank Fuel Pump 255LPH High Pressure

I had fixed my own fuel line awhile back by putting a metal pipe inside the factory fuel line and crimping the hose to that so I'm fixing that and hopefully that was the problem. The fuel pump and strainer was replaced last year with oem parts and the fuel filter just 4 months ago

I'd suggest this pump its what I use in my truck which also has a tune
Walbro GSS342 Intank Fuel Pump 255LPH High Pressure

What regulator would yall recommend to use with the fuel pump.

Allright well the. If it runs fine until under load and under load the psi drops to 52 then yes you have a fuel pressure issue it should stay rock steady around 64 psi
I would replace pump strainer and filter the tune is for sure going to bump up fuel delivery asking more of those 19# injectors.
64 psi is the goal plus or
Minus 8 psi, 52 is simply too low to properly spray the fuel it is right at the bottom of what is “acceptable” but it should not stay there it should dip to 52 and then come back up. Your pump cannot
Keep up with demand. Good work as this can be a difficult issue to zero in on because they (returnless fuel) like to still run “okay” with as little as 48 psi I have seen more then once
I shouldn't need a higher flow fuel pump right?

no factory pump is good with your mods its good to 350-400 hp
You do not need to replace the regulator
I would just replace pump strainer and filter
the factory regulator is likely better then the aftermarket ones

Bosch pump 66085 is avail at rock auto includes strainer

So the regulator in the tank is fine?

I'm only asking because it has a Bosch pump in it that is only 1 year old. Is there anything other than the fuel pump that can cause that?

Plugged filter kinked line plugged strainer leak in the plumbing
Or

Or perhaps the factory pump cannot
Keep up with the power you are
Making and 24# maybe needed w tune!

Seems odd though because I’ve had plenty of 5.0 w breathing mods even heads and never strained for fuel w factory pcm and fuel rail

The explorer 5.0 is rated at 215hp we add headers are proven good for 24 horse so now 239 still a long way from 300

According to that info I googled when we push 300 horsies from our pushrod 302 we
Need fuel system upgrades

Or

Seems odd though because I’ve had plenty of 5.0 w breathing mods even heads and never strained for fuel w factory pcm and fuel rail

The explorer 5.0 is rated at 215hp we add headers are proven good for 24 horse so now 239 still a long way from 300

According to that info I googled when we push 300 horsies from our pushrod 302 we
Ok I'll probably just go back with a factory pump. I rechecked all the fuel lines and changed the fuel filter and it didn't make a difference. Now to drop that stupid tank again. 😤

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the correct
Or

This is the correct cam. The other one I posted is wrong. For what I have done it shouldn't be pushing at max more than 275.

Back