• Register Today It's free!

5.4 Swap Feasible?

speed1972

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Has anyone attempted a 5.4 swap into the 06+ Explorer? I've got an 06 with the 4.0 V6 and I hate everything about it. I made a big mistake not getting the V8 and I am stuck with it since trade-in values around here have plummeted like 10K in the last 6 months.

Anyway, enough about that. I just picked up a 67 Fastback Mustang and it came with a completed 5.4 with everything lincluding all the electronics. I know there is not a lot of difference between the 4.6 and the 5.4 so I thought maybe someone has attempted it.

Appreciate any input you might have!!

LB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have a 67 fastback with a late model 5.4L conversion?

Can I see it?

I know what you are thinking, how different would that be to put a 5.4 in an old mustang. He was in the process of completing the swap when I bought the car. He had just put a Mustang II suspension under the front but that was it. The 5.4 is sitting in his garage on an engine stand. Believe me, I have considered finishing the conversion but another part of me says to stay Windsor power.....

It would have been neat to get it already there especially since he's got everything to do it.

LB

noone else ever tried it or ever heard of it being attempted?

LB

noone else ever tried it or ever heard of it being attempted?

LB

It's never been done on this board, but I'm sure it could be done if you put enough time into splicing together the wiring harnesses and getting the electronics to play nice together, since everything's friggin' electronic these days. Your best bet would be to get a copy of the wiring diagrams and see what corosponds to what, and see how you could wire everything up.

Hell, if Mr. Fortune was able to get a 5.0 into his BII, I'm sure that a 5.4L would go into a late-model X with enough work.

Find an explorer which has a 4.6L 3v and use the wiring harness and computer, use a 5.4L 3v engine and everything should be a direct bolt in, down to the wiring harness. Otherwise the sensors and control will be the same. You will definately need to be tuned(change the engine displacement) in the computer.-j

Back