• Register Today It's free!

#5 spark plug issue.

srb5775

Reaction score
City, State
Sorrento, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Limited
I was told today by my mechanic that my 98 ford explorer #5 spark plug was corroded and burnt out by oil and that my engine may be going or in need of an overhaul. I have 210,500 miles on this vehicle. Any suggestions by anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Did you see the spark plug for yourself? It might be the mechanic's opinion or just a bad brand of spark plugs. Did they do a compression test?

Yes, he did show it to me and it was all corroded and pretty much disintegrated when touched. They put in another spark plug that runs hotter and said to continue running the car and see how long this one lasts and that will determine how much oil is getting through the seal.

i had an issue similar to this at about 250,000 kilometers ., i changed the plug to another new one the same, motorcraft platinum and left it that way, now at 363,000 kilometers i still have not had a problem, it runs fine,

I guess I will need to wait and see how long this plug lasts before making any decisions. Thanks all for your help.

Back