4pointslow

Explorer Torture Tester
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2Dr,2,000 & 04 4dr xlt
Just wondering if the 5R55S pump can replaced without removing the pan.

The ford workshop manual says you have to loosen the O/D band adjustment screw or damage to the pump and O/D band may occur.

My thoughts are that the O/D anchor strut pieces may fall out if loosened too much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pump Bolt washers

Does anyone know where to get the pump bolts?
How do you seal them, ford recommends RTV, is that what works?

You can just remove the pump without removing the pan or loosening the band adjustment, it will work out best for you to have the transmission standing with the bellhousing facing up. This should keep things from falling out of place.

You dont need to replace the pump bolts, they have little orings under them that should be replaced if you can, if you are unable to get the orings then a little RTV or sealant should work.

Pump removal

Thanks JK080!
I was hoping to just replace the pump on this thing.
2004 Explorer, someone replaced the engine and they left almost every bracket just hanging off the engine with no bolts. Then they did not reinstall the plate between the engine and transmission.
The transmission has a leak at the front and I already tried replacing the front seal and checked the vent tube area but it was dry.
Now I have to think the pump may be damaged from the torque converter pushing to hard into the pump without that plate. Either that or the pump bolts are leaking. If the 5R55S is supposed to have orings that could be the cause. Maybe they are not there just like the plate.

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

Video

Thanks for posting that link to video, very detailed, good stuff!

pump alignment tool?

I think I remember reading that if the pump is not aligned correctly the seal and bushing will not last long. Do you have the alignment tool? It is sometimes included in repair kits.
TransGoSK5R55W.jpg

Transmission Tools

I bought a crap ton of tools when I rebuilt my 1998 4 door Explorer's 5R55E.
Some tools work on both transmissions. I will still need to spend quite a bit on new tools for the 5R55S.

One of the Ford Factory Tool Kits I got has the pump alignment tool. The workshop manual lists it for both transmissions.

Front Pump Alignment Set
307-S039 (T74P-77103-X)

I can not find a real picture of it, weird.
Edit: Found one picture on eBay.

Attachments

• pump alignment tool.jpg
    pump alignment tool.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 246

Transmission

I just got a used transmission with transfercase for 600.00
If It works I will be able to rebuild this leaking one and take my time doing it.

Back