• Register Today It's free!

6th gen audio upgrades?

911jason

Reaction score
City, State
Simi Valley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
I hope this is okay to post here, the audio subforum is dead and there is no 6th gen content there.

I have a 2020 XLT and I’m planning to make some significant upgrades in the next couple months. Want to replace the speakers, add an amp and sub and possibly some sound deadening. Has anyone done any of the above?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's fine posting here for the reason you stated. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with so please post details as you build your system.

Here is a link to an install a member did.

Thank you for that! Not completely applicable to what I'm hoping to do, but still very informative.

So finally got around to getting a quote from my local car audio shop. I almost fell out when they gave me the quotes. He had 4 options for me, ranging from $2800 to $5100!!!!! Am I nuts to think that‘s crazy?! I had him start with the lowest and after looking it over, I didn’t even bother with the other 3. He suggested an Audio Control DSP 6-channel amp, a single set of Focal components for the front doors and a shallow mount Kicker sub (I had requested something easily removable to recover cargo space when necessary).

So finally got around to getting a quote from my local car audio shop. I almost fell out when they gave me the quotes. He had 4 options for me, ranging from $2800 to $5100!!!!! Am I nuts to think that‘s crazy?! I had him start with the lowest and after looking it over, I didn’t even bother with the other 3. He suggested an Audio Control DSP 6-channel amp, a single set of Focal components for the front doors and a shallow mount Kicker sub (I had requested something easily removable to recover cargo space when necessary).
I put a shallow mount 10” in a small
Box under the cargo cover just above the spare tire. It fits perfectly

I put a shallow mount 10” in a small
Box under the cargo cover just above the spare tire. It fits perfectly
Is that the only thing you did? Did it make a significant difference in the overall sound? If it was a prefabricated sub, can you link to it?

Is that the only thing you did? Did it make a significant difference in the overall sound? If it was a prefabricated sub, can you link to it?
Atrend 10SME 10" Single Sealed / Shallow Mount Subwoofer Enclosure (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HKZGBTM/?tag=serious-20

not a custom box, it fits right in with the amp. It made a decent difference, and it’s very easy to do. Follow the steps in the thread posted earlier.

Audio Control makes excellent amps, I had my guys install the D-6.1200 ...has a built in DSP. You will need a NavTV Zen A2B interface to integrate any amps to the oem stereo.

Decided not to do anything. I don't like the explorer enough to invest that kind of dough.

Hello Everyone! I just recently bought a 2023 Explorer XLT. I traded in my F150. I have, maybe a lot of questions and the first is regarding sound upgrades. On my F150 XLT i replaced all the speakers and added a 8" bass speaker/amp behind the back seat, it worked and sounded great for the application. Has anyone done something like this to their Explorer? If so any suggestions on where to mount and how did you wire it in on the Explorer. Also what size speakers both front and back are in the 2023 Explorer XLT? Any suggestions on what you or anyone else upgraded to? This truck does NOT have the B&O sound system, just the stock. I did not see a audio forum listed so I posted these questions here, if I missed it please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help!
Bob
1691459588162.png

Bob, your thread was merged with this existing one. There are others as well.
Good luck.

Peter

Bob, your thread was merged with this existing one. There are others as well.
Good luck.

Peter
Ok, but its a completely dead forum there, I couldn't even find it listed on the forum page, how is anyone going to respond?? It is what it is i guess.

The B&O system just uses more components to generate poor quality sound.

Ok, but its a completely dead forum there, I couldn't even find it listed on the forum page, how is anyone going to respond?? It is what it is i guess.
There is no specific Audio section in the 5th or 6th gen forum Bob. When a new post is added to an older thread, it moves back to the top.
The threads mentioned were found using the forum's 'Search' feature in the upper right. All members are encouraged to use that feature before beginning a new thread as there isn't much that hasn't already been discussed. The 'Search' feature is very handy once a member has mastered the feature. I use it practically on a daily basis.

Peter

Back