93 Explorer TDI Swap | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Explorer TDI Swap

Heck I can do a ton of these never get it running conversions! Lol lol like fine china or artwork we can just put them in on display and pretend they run! Just like sema! Bwahahahahaha

Would be easier and less stressful!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heck I can do a ton of these never get it running conversions! Lol lol like fine china or artwork we can just put them in on display and pretend they run! Just like sema! Bwahahahahaha

Would be easier and less stressful!
sema land of mall crawlers :) there is some good stuff there, but most of it ends up looking pretty but some mcgyvered stuff works as well

Boy did this get off topic...

Well I think figured out the problem…

I did do the stock filter bypass and that helped a lot. It’s getting enough fuel now.

Replaced the battery too as the one in there was pretty worn out. This helped with the cranking speed. For a bit it seemed like it was going to fire. But still nothing.

About this time my VCDS stuff showed up. Plugged in and found the problem. P0726…crankshaft position sensor. Checked the harness for the sensor and it’s free of breaks and ohms out correctly. The sensor ohms out okay but my cranking RPM is jumping all over the place. So it could be one of two things. Either the sensor is bad or the reluctor wheel is bad. Both of which amazes me because everything on this motor is new. Order a new sensor. It’ll be here Thursday.

Crossing my fingers it’s just the sensor. The sensor is easy-ish to replace. The reluctor wheel not so much. The wheel is built into the rear main. So, if it’s the wheel that means dropping the trans and replacing the rear main. Which by the way requires a special tool. Again, crossing my fingers it’s the sensor.

At least it looks good!

While we’re waiting for the sensor…

Driveshaft question for you guys: I know the rear driveshaft will need to be lengthened. Moved the engine and transmission forward two inches. So at a minimum it’ll need to be two inches longer. I never did anything for the shaft when I lifted it. So I’m thinking I should have the rear driveshaft lengthened at least three inches? Thoughts?

I think the front driveshaft should be fine. The lift made it longer but now that everything is moved forward it should even that one out.

Do you know what the new length number is? Better for me to ask than assume

Wait until you get everything installed and the Explorer sitting at ride height. Then crawl under there and measure for the new drive shafts. A driveshaft shop can do the work in a few days. It's worth waiting to get them the correct length with no guess work.

Do it once!
Measure at ride height is the only way to fly
Stock shaft may still be good!

Use spicer lifetime joints, the ones with the white seals non greasable much stronger (it’s the stock joint)

A stock shaft from something else might work.

Smooooooooth!!!

Well done! She’s a runner sounds good and nice and smooth firing on all 4! How very exciting! I’m jealous a 4 cyl diesel turbo would be sick in my bronco

That’s quite a thing you have accomplished! Good show

Excellent,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buttoning up the last few things to take the Explorer for its first drive. The interior is back together so I’ve been able to sit inside again. There’s been/will be some changes inside. I’ll grab pictures and cover that in a different post.

New air filter. Went straight off the front of the turbo for now. It’s amazing with all this space and I don’t really have anywhere good for the air filter. Thinking it may just stay where it is and build some good heat/water shielding.
IMG_5570.jpeg

Throttle “pedal” is in. This is the stock VW pedal/position sensor. Rather than trying to mount the pedal inside, I mounted it on the bracket for the ABS computer. Cut the pedal off the sensor and used a universal throttle cable that connects to the stock Explorer pedal. Works perfect!
IMG_5572.jpeg
IMG_5573.jpeg

Somehow I damaged the threads on the radius arm bolts. So new bolts from McMaster.
IMG_5574.jpeg

Bolted everything in underneath but ran into the front yoke on the transfer case contacting the transmission crossmember. So, crossmember came back out, cut, and welded to clear the front yoke. Bolted all back together with the new radius arm bolts and no clearance issues.
IMG_5580.jpeg

The rear driveshaft is long enough to drive around the neighborhood for a test drive. Definitely will need to be lengthened for anything outside of that. Looks like it will need three inches added. Need to measure again to verify. The front driveshaft needs to be shortened. It’s too long to even bolt back in place. Removed for now just to take the Explorer on a drive.

Should be taking it for its first drive later today or tomorrow! Super excited for that!

The remaining list of things to do is pretty short:
-Figure out non functioning glow plug light
-Driveshafts
-Exhaust
-Reinstall hood
-EGT gauge
-Boost gauge
-New shift boot

Back