94 X Limited with a rattle/knocking sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 X Limited with a rattle/knocking sound

Fordman6996

Reaction score
City, State
South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Limited 4.0L SOHC V6
Hello,
I have a big problem with my 94 X and i'm going nuts on whats wrong with it. first one thing i just had my transmission rebuilt about a year ago and it seems the the seal around the shifting linkage is leaking I called a tranny shop and had it checked out they said that where that seal is leaking is a weak part of the transmission and since this is my second rebuilt tranny the previous shop that got my casing probably didn't get me a brand new one and that its worn in that spot making it leak he wants to charge me 400.00 for a new case then to pull out the guts of my tranny look it over and install it in the new one with fluid is a 1000 bucks I don't have that kind of money and I think he just wants to sell me a new case is there any fix for that? Also I have a rattling/knocking sound either from the tranny or the engine, it sounds more like the engine. It starts doing it after it been warmed up really good at idle or when I'm going to down the interstate about 75 to 80 when ever I flutter the gas you know that time where you can acelerate with out kicking up the rpms to 3000. Its really noticable from inside the car going down the road. would it be a pushrod loose or lifter or rocker arm? or could it be the tranny. the transmission it self shifts fine so I don't think its that. I also though on the 4.0 that hey had self adjusting ones the vehicle has 130.000 miles on it I would appreciate it if some one could help me I'm almost to the point of getting a new motor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The knocking is common with 4.0 OHV engines...it is caused by carbon buildup...do a search on that....

That RPM jump that your truck does on the highway before you accelerate is the torque converter unlocking itself. If this is causing a jerk, have the TC checked and possible replaced. But ask some of the more technical guys on this board before you replace it.

Leaking tranny

The shift seal is only a few O rings on an inside and outside shaft. O rings take up any clearance and frankly this is a low wear part. Many are probably never replaced in a rebuild because the rolled pin that holds the assembly is easily damaged on removal and replacements for some reason aren't included in the rebuild kit. This is a pain to replace, valve body may have to be dropped to get clearance, but there is no reason the transmission has to be dropped and the case replaced. Certainly something you could do at home if you wanted to.

Is there any clunking under the seats. Might be radius arm bushings.

Fordman6996-
I used to have that problem, except mine would even ping when I would accelerate up to 60 in OD. I cleaned the MAF...kinda helped but didn't fix the problem. The best way to get rid of that knock is to get a Granatelli cold-air MAF. Ever since I bought one of those guys, my engine has been peppier, but also silent. No more knocking, even when I accelerate uphill in overdrive up to 80mph. Hope this helps

Thanks guys for your help,

I do have another question, I am a do it yourself type a guy, when I pull the valve body out of the tranny to change the seal are there any check balls that will fall out? cause if there are I don't want to mess with it cause I won't know how it goes back together. I'll find out what that knocking sound is but I'll have to put it off I may be deployed very soon so I'm running out of time thanks again fellas!

Back