95 Explorer - console armrest is torn :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Explorer - console armrest is torn :(

RandyL712

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 2D
The leather (or fake leather) on the center console armrest has torn and ripped. Any way to cheaply replace this? It's a 95 with grey leather.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would just get a yard of vinyl from a local fabric store and recover it.

Robb

Mine is too. There is a guy on Midwest-Xplorers.com that can replace it for $40 (I think)
He has black, but might be able to get the color you need. Look for SSIKORA He might be on this board too.

He's on this site too, I emailed him. thanks!

Yeah mine did that on my 92 tear and ware what can u do about it

Chase

My 96 is worn out too. I saw someone here that used some black vinyl. That is what I'm planning to do. The dealer wants over $100 for a replacement cover.

Originally posted by RFR2212
Just cover it in duct tape!

AH the cure for everything!!!

SSIKORA did mine. I mailed him the top piece and he had it back to me in a week and a half or two weeks... VERY nice work. I posted about it on Midwest-Xplorers here:

http://www.midwest-xplorers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=206

Here is a pic of it too (not a close up, but you can see it)

download.php

I recovered mine on my 95 with some vinyl that is a close match. it took me about 3 hours, had to work quickly cause I would use the oven to warm the material up enough for it to shrink a bit to make a nice fit.

I took it off and my wife wants to take a crack at it. She recently recovered a set of dining room chairs so I trust her :)

Hopefully $5 at the fabric store for some grey vinyl and an hour or two in her expert hands will result in a new console armrest! I promise to post pics :)

Well we found some terrific black vinyl and recovered it in about 30 minutes last night. It looks amazing, matches great, and I have you guys to thank. Thanks!!

I still want to replace the console as there is still some ugliness on the rest of the hard black plastic.

If you just want to repair it with a factory piece look at your local junk yards. I got one for $25. If you want to save more, cover it yourself. Mikes95XLT, that looks really good.

Jason, did you see my last post?

mine also had tears in it. took it to a local custom shop...$20 to recover it and i swear it looks nicer than it did before.

As promised:

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Back