97 V8 explorer engine dies when put in drive, Help , Help :) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 V8 explorer engine dies when put in drive, Help , Help :)

crazyflights

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 1 ton Jeep
I am working on my 97 explorer, all stock engine tranny, has been running/shifting fine, all the sudden now runs in park can rev it up fine, drives in reverse can rev up fine,, can be reved up in neutral, but now when put it in drive it will idle forward fine, but give it any gas, u can watch the check engine light flicker and rpms drop like your shutting off the engine, let off will idle, stay in throttle and it will die. The other day pulled few codes
P0755 Shift Solenoid B error
P0705 Trans Ranger sensor error
P1746 EPC Solenoid Open Circuit
P0500 VSS error-which has done for awhile

Today change EPC, TCC and shift solenoid sensor, but havent had chance to run codes, but still doing same thing, I have checked my Enertia Switch and it is fine?

Anyone ever had problem like this.

Please help would like to take this rig to Smorr, Halloween get together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I read about code P0705, the range sensor, kinda has me suspecting it as problem, but would it really cause the engine to die hmm..

heres what i read: Increase in EPC pressure (harsh shifts). Defaults to (D) or D for all gear positions. In (D) position trans, stuck in D or manual 2

Just changed DTR sensor, with a used one that was pretty sure was good, still doing same thing, waiting for my brother to get home to use his code reader. Im stumped, I inspected wires all appear good.

I have seen problems with the electrical harness in side the transmission. It is the weird black plastic looking thing that goes to all solenoids.

My 98 has that, but the 97 is stll wires on the inside, im starting to think its not tranny codes, causing prob, Might have a grounding issue, earlier i just died, usually restarts instantly, but died, and wouldnt restart, couldnt hear the fuel pump runningn when cycling key, but sat for a while then fires right back up.

Encountered what seems to be the same frustrating problem a couple years ago on a 2000 XLT. Truck would start and run fine, reverse no problem, but any drive gear would be a fight to keep from dying. We could feather the gas to move forward, but it was lurching all over the place. Spent 3 days at two different shops trying to trace this before we got the hint to start at the basics and check all the fuses. Turned out a 15 amp fuse was blowing out from a loose piece of heat shield touching the O2 sensor wire. Check your fuses in the engine compartment - I believe it was position number 13.

I completely unhooked harness that controls tranny, started and shifted thru gears still doing same thing?? I think its internal issue on tranny locking up. But now switching to ZF 5spd so hopefully that wont be issue anymore.

Back