Adding a LSD to a non-LSD rear end. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a LSD to a non-LSD rear end.

evilmike198

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
2004 Explorer, 4.0L, 4x4, 135k mi, 3.55 open diff front/rear

My truck has the whine coming from the rear diff, indicative of the ring/pinion gears failing. I've already replaced the wheel bearings at all four wheels so I know with certainty the whine isn't coming from them. I'm planning on rebuilding the entire rear diff with a new 3.55 gear set, bearings, seals etc. and would like to make it a limited slip.

I have a friend who has a few Ford 8.8 Traction-Lok assemblies he's pulled from various trucks when he visits the junkyard. He's willing to sell me one, sans ring gear, for $60. But he said that they're all taken from Ford pickups with a solid axle and are of the "older style".

So my question is: Will an "older style" Ford 8.8 Traction-Lok from a solid axle fit/work in the rear diff of the Ford 8.8 IRS?

Thanks,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2004 Explorer, 4.0L, 4x4, 135k mi, 3.55 open diff front/rear

My truck has the whine coming from the rear diff, indicative of the ring/pinion gears failing. I've already replaced the wheel bearings at all four wheels so I know with certainty the whine isn't coming from them. I'm planning on rebuilding the entire rear diff with a new 3.55 gear set, bearings, seals etc. and would like to make it a limited slip.

I have a friend who has a few Ford 8.8 Traction-Lok assemblies he's pulled from various trucks when he visits the junkyard. He's willing to sell me one, sans ring gear, for $60. But he said that they're all taken from Ford pickups with a solid axle and are of the "older style".

So my question is: Will an "older style" Ford 8.8 Traction-Lok from a solid axle fit/work in the rear diff of the Ford 8.8 IRS?

Thanks,
Mike

Send a Pm with a link to this thread to BoominXplorer...he would know the answer

Pm replied to but just to answer the question for everyone else is that they are different. The cases themselves will swap back and fourth but the side spyder gears for solid 8.8s are machined for c clips where the 02+ IRS side gears are flat on the top. The only other l/s you could swap other than 02+ explorer would be an IRS cobra carrier.

Ronin8002 and boominXplorer: You guys are the best. Thanks so much for the insight and help. Cheers!

Thanks,
Mike

Pm replied to but just to answer the question for everyone else is that they are different. The cases themselves will swap back and fourth but the side spyder gears for solid 8.8s are machined for c clips where the 02+ IRS side gears are flat on the top. The only other l/s you could swap other than 02+ explorer would be an IRS cobra carrier.

I reread your reply and just want clarification, for myself and others. The carriers are interchangeable, but the spider gears are not. So can the spider gears from a solid axle limited slip be swapped out for the spider gears from an IRS limited slip?

Thanks,

Mike

I reread your reply and just want clarification, for myself and others. The carriers are interchangeable, but the spider gears are not. So can the spider gears from a solid axle limited slip be swapped out for the spider gears from an IRS limited slip?

Thanks,

Mike

I am not sure but would think you could swap vise versa. I do know the carriers have the same measurments in relation to ring gear mounting and bearings. For the price of the 4 spider gears from Ford you could probibly buy a locker though. I needed just the small spider gears one time and found you have to buy them in a the spider gear kit which my price was $170 and I work at a dealership. I have some pics of a 04 IRS L/S rebuild on my phone I should post up here.

Ok I don't have the best pics but I have some as I did this over a year ago......

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

Back