• Register Today It's free!

Can't win!!!

Sign of Cobra

Reaction score
City, State
Nowata, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Now that I bought a doner truck, 98 ex 5.0 auto, I find out that it has AWD. Do I have to buy another trans now before trying to put it in my 98 Sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I take it your sport is 2wd?

If so, then yes. The transmission can be modified to a 2wd transmission, however it will require a complete dis assembly.

You will need the output shaft and output housing for 2wd

edit-
Or, you could convert the sport to AWD with the parts you have and a shorter rear drive shaft.

Thanks Turdle.

Think I'll just get another trans. I had no idea it was AWD. Thanks for the help.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you could also get a transfercase out of a F-150 and just run it in 2wd. You would not have to get the front axle or front drive shaft. You would have to shorten your existing drive shaft though. This is just an option but will add weight.

That's a pretty gross oversight haha. Been there done that myself. Got a 5.4 SOHC engine to build and was swapping my heads and such over and realized my other donor engine I picked up from the yard was a DOHC and I had the wrong timing cover. I felt pretty stupid.

Really confused

I have decided to just get the transmission for two wheel drive. So my 98 Sport will have a 98 5.0 motor, ????transmission, limited slip 3.73 diff. Which automatic fits behind the 5.0?? What years can I use?

4R70W from the same year. I think there may be some internal valve body wiring changes from year to year. However, you probably could just use the valve body and range selector from your 98 awd transmission in any year 4r70w if there is a wiring change.

96-97 will have an out speed sensor. Your 98 has a diff mounted speed sensor, for instance.

4R70W from the same year. I think there may be some internal valve body wiring changes from year to year. However, you probably could just use the valve body and range selector from your 98 awd transmission in any year 4r70w if there is a wiring change.

96-97 will have an out speed sensor. Your 98 has a diff mounted speed sensor, for instance.

That sounds tricky. Although it can be done, ask me how I know, like Turdle stated, I would try to find one from a 1998 2wd 5.0 so there are no more snags.

Ok, here I go.

Thanks guys, I will start looking for a 98 4R700W trans for a 2 wheel drive.

Uhh, nobody notice? The sport only came with the 4.0
Can't bolt the 5.0 trans up to a 4.0

Huh?

We we're talking about a 4R700W behind a 5.0 that's going into my 98 Sport.

Uhh, nobody notice? The sport only came with the 4.0
Can't bolt the 5.0 trans up to a 4.0

Did you notice we're in the "Modified 1995-2001 Explorers" part of the forum?

He's putting a 5.0 into his Sport.

Thanks guys, I will start looking for a 98 4R700W trans for a 2 wheel drive.

Too bad you're not closer! I have a 98 5.0 2wd. I wish it was all wheel drive. One day when it is not my daily driver, I plan to convert it to 4wd and make it my toy.

Back