98 explorer conversion from AWD to 2WD help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer conversion from AWD to 2WD help

Patty 99

Reaction score
City, State
Bronx, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 98 explorer and it has AWD, Eddie Bauer edition. I have changed out the transfer case once already back in around 2009 or 2010. It has gone bad on me again and I am thinking about converting it to a 2WD. Can anyone tell me what length transmission extension housing and drive shaft I will need to make the conversion?
Thanks, Pat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen that there is a 10 inch transmission extension housing and an 11 inch extension housing. anyone know which one I should use, 4R70W tranny.

do you want to keep it 4wd, or would rather go 2wd. there have been a lot of people (myself included) that have swapped in a 4406 transfer case from a f150. you would have 2 hi, 4 hi, and 4 low as well as being able to put the case in neutral if you ever had to flat tow it

4406 swap is definitely the way to go.

MT

agreed. You can't just pull the cv axles out and expect the hubs to stay together.

Since you would need a custom driveshaft anyway-the 4406 swap using off the shelf length drive shafts is the least amount of work.

A member here @traveler has a perfectly good AWD transfer case up for grabs if youd rather just fix what you have.

If it is noisy, it might just be the cv joint on the rear of the front drive shaft has gone bad.

I have an AWD t-case that had no issues other than the spot where one of the alignment dowels fits is cracked from removal.

If anyone wants it, they can have it for shipping costs.

MT

Thank you all for the replies. I really like the idea of changing over to a 4406 transfer case. A lot. My thinking is if I pull the AWD transfer case and front drive shaft, put in the transmission extension housing and a new (stock) driveshaft (2wd was an option on this vehicle). Then I am done. I never have to go inside the vehicle. I don't really want to put another AWD case in because I don't want to have to buy 4 new tires every time I get a flat.
What do you all think?
Pat

Like I said I like the idea of the 4406 tc but I am also looking at cost and convenience.

My thinking is if I pull the AWD transfer case and front drive shaft, put in the transmission extension housing and a new (stock) driveshaft (2wd was an option on this vehicle). Then I am done. I never have to go inside the vehicle.

i could be wrong, but i think there is more then just changing the tail shaft housing. i do believe the output shaft is different, which would mean pulling the trans out, and completely apart and swapping output shafts, and the tail shaft housing, or swapping in a 2wd trans.

Hmmm
Any more input on this?
Anyone know if vzb is right about the output shaft on the tranny?
Pat

Your profile says Bronx NY. I'd be more curious why you're blowing transfer cases since you're probably not offroading.

Hi vroomzoomboom,
Thank you for the info. That really makes a difference in the job at hand. SO! What can you tell me about a conversion to the 4406? My vehicle, being an AWD has nothing inside to select between 2wd & 4wd. I beleive you can get a 4406 with a manual shift or an electric shift? Is this so, if so which did you chose & what wers your reasons..........enlighten me.

GTMountain, I think I might not be very good at keeping all the wheels within 1/4 inch of each other in circumference!

heres a thread about the conversion http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-bw-4406-manual-shift-a-how-to-thread.166726/

yes you can get either manual, or electric. there are a few guys that did electric. that you will need to do a search on. i did a manual. i also did mine for several reasons.
i have a 2 door sport. i was doing a v8 swap. there were a lot of people saying it wouldnt fit in a 2 door, so i had to prove a few people wrong lol. thats because i would say everyone that did a v8 in a sport either never thought of doing a 4406, or thought they were stuck with awd. that and i wanted to be the first guy to do it lol (or i think i was the first guy)
wanted a little better mileage because everyone that did that swap said their mileage got better.
wanted to be able to get 2wd because i am a street truck, and not a off roader. so that way if i can ever afford slicks and go to the track, i can run down it in 2wd. right now however i use 4wd at the track.
wanted to be different.

Back