'98 XLT 5.0 Frame Off Restoration | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 XLT 5.0 Frame Off Restoration

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Keeper! So, I didn't get it taken in last weekend because I'm going with a different option. For $300, I found a place that will do a complete sand blast and powdercoat, which is about 400-500 cheaper than the other place I was gonna go to.

I'm aware that powdercoating isn't the most durable option for an offroad frame, but I really have to reign in the amount of money I'm spending on vehicles. If it does chip or get damaged from scraping though, it won't be a big deal. Before everything goes back together it's gonna get completely sprayed with undercoating wax and then resprayed again twice a year. That should keep it completely rust free for a few decades.

WoW thats cheap, is that in Indiana too??

It's CPC Powdercoating over in New Lenox, Illinois. The guy who I had powdercoat a few small things for me recommended them. I haven't had a chance to bring it over yet though.

I'm actually trying to decide if I want to do the frame in black, or have it match the camo theme and go with a coyote tan color. The only thing about having it in tan would be that for that to look good, I would have to paint all the rest of the suspension the same color. Otherwise it would really look odd.

Black would be easier for touchups also.

.....A bit of a shameless post to subscribe to the thread also. This work is amazing. Im so impressed, the results are going to be better than off the factory floor.

For a 300.00 bast and coat job, I want to see the prepped frame!
For one thing, that is way too cheap, and another, if they are doing these things so cheap in the idea of running off the competition, this is wrong also.

I am by no means an expert, nor do I have the technology to run such a huge job, but I know folks who do, and 300.00 is way too low. beware!

On a side note, a tan frame would look great with suspension parts in off colors. I think things would stand out more, folks might even think you have a unibody! :D

http://www.cpcpowdercoating.com/home.html
https://www.facebook.com/CPCPOWDERCOATING

I was wary about the price initially too, so I called and asked them about it, and they said they can do it cheap because they have a big blast room and do things in bulk. I've talked to some guys from the Chicago Mustang Club who have had work done there and they said that they're a bit on the slow side, but the work is top notch. The guy who powdercoated my u-bolt skids and bar pin eliminators said he recommends them to anyone who needs something big done he can't handle, or if something he does comes out messed up he'll send it over to them to get fixed. I'll ask to see pictures of the prepped frame first before it gets blasted, or maybe even check it out after work if I have a few spare hours. From everything I've heard about them though, I should be in good hands.

With the tan, it might be a bit more expensive if they don't have any powder in stock that's close to the color I want, but if they do have something close, any powder in stock is no additional charge.

They do lifetime warranty too, so if they weren't good I'd imagine they would be out of business already. A+ BBB rating too.

I could always put the suspension back together without repainting them and see how it looks, worst that could happen is take it back apart and spray can 'em and lose a few hours.

Loaded up and heading to CPC tomorrow! Since the Trac doesn't have a hitch, my brother is towing it with his Ram. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with the coyote tan. I'm hoping they won't mind if I wait a little while to pick it up. My garage and driveway are in massive need of some cleanup and tlc.

Wish I had time to meet you there, would love to see it. Did the body ever get done in the camo??

Oohh so glad I came across this thread :popcorn:, I might do something similar to my 97 one day.
Good luck!:usa:

any pics of recent progress?

Wow. So, 3 years ago this just falls off the face of the earth? What happened?
I guess the reason I was here was, I am wondering how to assess the level of rust on my Ex. and whether or not I should try rehabing mine, or trying to locate a similar model/year/trim/power train, and do a restore on it. Great thread. Wish I could see the end result!

How long ago did this die? Is it actually still up for sale? How far did it get?

Back