99 X flat spot/hesitation | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 X flat spot/hesitation

I've been to 2 Ford Service Centers & 2 Independent shops that checked for the block cat. None of the 4 shops found a bad cat. Of course Ford won't say it's a bad cat since the cat is still under warrenty.

All the shops I've been to have come up with different problems or did not find any problem. 2 of the shops I did take it to, stated the problem was the FPR. This part has now been replaced twice since the problem started, but has not fixed anything.

Thanks for the help everyone, and let me know of any other suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems to be OK

Ok, after a couple of weeks now I feel pretty good that the problem is solved. I ended up changing the plugs and it seemed a little better. After talking to a friend, he suggested that a misfire under a load was probably due to a bad plug wire. I changed them and the problem has gone away.

SMASHEK: Glad to hear the wires & splugs cured your X's illness.

Unfortunately I have replaced the plugs 3 times & wires twice, but still have the problem.

V8-X,

Like your situation; it didn't take much of an incline to bring on the misfires.

I finally got the 98 5.0 AWD XLT into the shop. I gave it to my Mechanic overnight so he could drive it in himself and experience the issue himself.

This is what he found: At least one of the spark plug wires was 'dry-rotted'. The defective wire was close enough a metal component that it produced an 'arc'.

I had recently purchased Borg-Warner wires at Pep-Boys for about $70. They replaced all wires and knock-wood, we're good. I intentionally drove about 50 miles this eve and did not get a single engine buck.

You made it clear the plugs and wires were replaced a couple/few times. My Mechanic stated numerous times how important the wire paths are. Go back to your local Ford shop and ask to look at the wire paths. Pay attention to the wire looms, holding brackets and their respective placements.

Ask the Ford shop Guys to trace each wire with a meter during engine load. Hopefully they'll detect a variance.

I still want you to take that Guy in the Caravan!

David

Finally found a fix to the problem I've been having, I have traded-in the Explorer for a 2002 F-150 Super Crew Lariat 4X4 FX4. Couldn't stand the fact that 1st Gen Dodge Caravans could blow the doors off my Explorer with the 5.0L.

After dumping over $3000 in parts and labor into this Explorer, I finally had to say enough. I had this Explorer into 8 different shops a total of 10 times within this 2 year period and not one of the shops could find a problem. 4 of the 8 shops were Ford Service Centers. I also had a few mechanic friends look at it, but none could truly determine the problem.

During the last 2 years, I have replaced all the following parts: PCV, IAC, TPS, EGR, DPFE, ECT, FPR (twice), all 8 plugs (twice), all 8 wires, all 4 O2 sensors, Battery, Alternator, Front Hub assemblies, Rack & Pinion assembly, Thermo, all brake pads, all 4 brake rotors, passenger door lock actuator, power antenna and the driver seat heater core.

Some of these items were determined to be the problem and why these were replaced. Come to find out, not one of the items fixed the flat spot/hesitation/lack of power problem.

Just FYI to all here.

Geez!!

After reading your saga (exact one I am having) I was hoping for a storybook ending. I was robbed!!! Now ehat do I do? Mine's been doing this for about 9 months with alot of replaced parts and no change. Good god man!!

Explorerhucke: I don't know what to tell you. I truly feel for you if it is the same exact problem as I had. I dumped way to much time and money into this X without any fix. I finally had to say enough is enough and trade it in.

Ford still got me though, just glad I haven't had any issues with my new ride yet. Knock on wood.

Do you have the 5.0L/302ci? If not, then maybe this problem is a part that is not related to the engine, or if it is it must be a universal part used in all engine models.

Keep us posted on your results and look around through some other threads. Hopefully someone has found a cure for your X's illness. I loved the X was a great dependable vehicle that always started and ran really well for the most part. It just had this one issue that I could not stand to live with.

Good luck!!! Sorry if you were hoping to find a resolution to fix your X. I found one, even though it wasn't the route I wanted to take.

Can anyone figure this out?

Can anyone figure this out?
Holy cow buddy, you pulled this one outta the grave!

Well I was the one who began this thread back in '02 I believe. I dropped way too much money in 2 years trying to fix the problem, with no success. So I had traded away the vehicle for that in my sig, which I have since traded due to an accident.

Anyways, good luck on your search for an answer. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.

Here is a couple of possibilities I have seen over the years. Fuel pumps out thw wazoo (tsb 00-20-01) and the fuel pump mounting area in side the fuel tank breaking off and letting the fuel pump move around. Alot of times it is very hard to diagnose because it happens randomly.
Printable View (4 KB)
TSB
00-20-1 HESITATION ON ACCELERATION OR TURNING - LACK OF FUEL PRESSURE - EXPLORER/MOUNTAINEER VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 8/15/2000 AND EXPEDITION/NAVIGATOR VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 6/30/2000

Publication Date: SEPTEMBER 21, 2000

FORD: 1997-2000 EXPEDITION
1997-2001 EXPLORER
LINCOLN: 1998-2000 NAVIGATOR
MERCURY: 1997-2001 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:
A hesitation on acceleration or while turning may be felt on some vehicles. This may be caused by fuel pump cavitation due to fuel sloshing away from the filter sock in the fuel tank reservoir.

ACTION:
To service, check fuel pressure. Check all fuel pump related electrical circuits. If a fuel pressure concern is verified, refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Attempt to verify if fuel pressure drops during the event.
If a fuel pressure drop is verified, check all fuel pump related electrical wiring, connections and related systems.
If all checks OK, replace the fuel pump/sender assembly with a revised fuel pump/sender assembly. Refer to the parts listing for application.
Refer to the appropriate model year Workshop Manual, Section 310-01, for removal and installation instructions.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
F7PZ-9H307-BD Fuel Pump - 1997-1998 Explorer/Mountaineer (All)
XL2Z-9H307-AJ Fuel Pump - 1999-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer (All)
XL1Z-9H307-AB Fuel Pump - 1997-2000 Expedition (4X4)
XL1Z-9H307-BB Fuel Pump - 1997-2000 Expedition (4X2 With Base Suspension)
XL1Z-9H307-CB Fuel Pump - 1997-2000 Expedition (4X2 With Air Suspension)
XL1Z-9H307-DB Fuel Pump - 1998-2000 Navigator (4X4)
XL1Z-9H307-FB Fuel Pump - 1998-2000 Navigator (4X2)

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Information Only

OASIS CODES:
404000, 609000, 609500, 610000, 610500, 611000, 611500, 614000, 614500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2000 Ford Motor Company

Back