A Built in Fridge - Offroad style | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Built in Fridge - Offroad style

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Crop...Now I got to go find someone to make a lift kit for my jack...:rolleyes:

I didn't put a link to the jack....because it's $1000 bucks:eek:

Psshhh!!

I can build that for under $100.00!

Hello Harbor freight tools!

..I got some shopping done today and found a new "Timbersill" 4"x4"x12" cutoff laying in the middle of the road that must have fell off a truck will compliment my existing jack..:biggthump

..The jack and other accessories that go along with this build are going to have to wait as I wound up scoring a deal today out of the clear blue which will come in real handy for both my trucks offroad..I blame this purchase on Brian1 and will disclose it at a later time..;)

..This build for the fridge is now going to go into cheap mode but nut cheap, cheap mode..:D

..I did decide today that the base for the fridge is going to be 3/16 plate so I can get a couple bolt down feet welded onto it..This will be the "Foundation" in case I want to change it up in the future..

..From there it will turn into some aluminum and plywood which I will bolt on as I go and to keep the rest of it light weight..

..I seriously was hoping to do the deck and the rest of the frame work in aluminum but the material is still way up there in price and not having a brake for 14"-16" material kind of nixed that...I would have now problem getting it welded but that still meant forking out cash, some possible warpage, and putting it on someone else's time schedule..

..Due to having to deal with some work stuff today I still need to go and round up some more stuff tomorrow..

I wound up scoring a deal today out of the clear blue which will come in real handy for both my trucks offroad..I blame this purchase on Brian1 and will disclose it at a later time..;).

Hmmm...:shifty_ey::scratch: That can only mean 1 of a few things and I think I narrowed it down to what you got. Looking forward to the post showing what you got:thumbsup:

Mount securely the fridge.
Drop it out of the direct sunlight from windows
Drop it out of clear view from passers by
Lower C.O.G of fridge (and contents) weight
Use existing bolts first/drill additional only if needed
Be able to replace seat and other components easily back to stock condition
Keep the fridge relatively cool in it's new spot
Be able to open the fridge lid easily from all 4 sides
Add secondary fuse block in that area
Add 12v outlets there for the fridge and ?
Keep passenger in the jump seat comfortable and not crowded
Add a cup holder and possibly 12v power for the jump seat too
Keep as full deck storage when jump seat is down- no gap to fridge
Addendum #1003.
Title: Utilization of existing space.
(A) To increase living area
(B) Most importantly, lower Center of Gravity

Work description.
1 Cut out floor
2 Frame with angle below existing floor level. Minimum of 2" would be worthwhile in achieving A&B.
3 Skin with sheet metal
4 Drop fridge to mount sub floor level
5 Hold down clamp
6 Feasibility study of doing same with Jack as per paragraph A&B
7 Increases Wow Factor

Addendum #1003.
Title: Utilization of existing space.
(A) To increase living area
(B) Most importantly, lower Center of Gravity

Work description.
1 Cut out floor
2 Frame with angle below existing floor level. Minimum of 2" would be worthwhile in achieving A&B.
3 Skin with sheet metal
4 Drop fridge to mount sub floor level
5 Hold down clamp
6 Feasibility study of doing same with Jack as per paragraph A&B
7 Increases Wow Factor
8) Add 1/4" skidplate for fridge...:hammer:

..I can't believe you forgot the most important piece..:D

...It's about as low as I want it to be..I still have to reach in from the raised deck to reach the stuff at the bottom of the fridge..;)

When did you get a HF jack? It looks like the same model I have.

Are you going to build a similar fridge mount for the Ranger?

When did you get a HF jack? It looks like the same model I have.

Are you going to build a similar fridge mount for the Ranger?

..The jack is the small HF one and it is actually the one for the Ranger which I got a few months back when we were talking about yours..Same sale I think..

..I'm way behind on the list of mod's I have waiting to go on the Ranger..I have no plans as of now to do a fridge mount for the Ranger but it's not like I haven't thought about ripping out the victim seat and throwing a fridge there...I will actually frame one in the cage when the time comes...;)

I found another accessory you might need for your built in fridge

http://www.myicecreammusicbox.com/ :p:

The return on investment should be quick even if you only sell Dr Peppers at Explorerforum meets :dpchug:

..That's just Creepy...:p:

chrishansen.jpg

...I wound up running around all day chasing parts still..:rolleyes:..I did however score some #6 wire for cheap...The only place around me who sells it gets $2.41 a ft...I wound up scoring 14' of it for .75 a ft...:biggthump...Still gotta find some lugs but I wasn't going to push the issue..:D

..I did get production started on this build today though..
welder.gif

IMG_20120925_114955.jpg

..I had some time to work on it today so I got to cutting..
IMG_20120926_134117.jpg

...In fact, I had enough time to run out late today and pick out some cheap carpet to install..I installed the carpet tonight in the dark so I have an excuse for how croppy it turned out..:D

..I did get the 12v receptacles cut in and the cup holder...The very last thing I did tonight was to get that contact glue on the top of the carpet and the cup holder..:rolleyes:

..Hopefully I will have time to get the rest of the wiring material and get this all wired in by Friday..

What are you building?

It looks like a fridge mounting plate (that will bolt to the floor) with a storage compartment on the side. Am I close???:D

..Nice find Steve..:biggthump

..Scott, the box shown being built is between the fridge and the jump seat..It also serves as a partial deck between the two (About 7" tall from fridge deck), a console of sorts which houses the 12v receps, cupholder, and part of the folding flap (bridge to old seat) lands on it like it did on the seat.

..I should have some pics tonight..;)

I've been thinking about doing something similar to this project in my 91, though I was thinking on the driver's side. I like your reasoning for balancing out the weight, however. I also had it in my head that I was going to mount it rotated 90 degrees from the way that you have it. Looks like that might not be doable based on the floor shape though. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

..2D doesn't do this justice but here is a pic of the box..
IMG_20120927_083208.jpg

..Electrical wiring began today and I hope it's done tomorrow..I'm pretty sure I'm done with all the drilling for the wiring but still have some more drilling to do if /i have the time tomorrow..

..I got everything all wired in today..:biggthump
IMG_20120928_163854.jpg

..Then I stuffed the new storage hole..:)
IMG_20120928_173410.jpg

..And got her ready for this weekend...
IMG_20120928_175608.jpg

..She's all done for now and the fridge got groceries in it tonight....I'm really liking this set up..:biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..A quick update..:D

...I've been out of town for a couple weeks and when I went to pick up more stuff for this project the items I needed were out of stock...No problems though as I am first in line and they are in process of being made..:biggthump

..The fridge build itself and it's location I am totally satisfied with as it worked out better than expected..I created a space for more storage when I did this and the low profile of the fridge works great for several different reasons..

..It is also nice to just get in and turn the fridge on at any time with out having to set everything up..

..I'm hoping to get another project or two built into this area before Truckhaven (as I should be receiving my parts by then) and I will get back to finishing this thread..:hammer:

Back