• Register Today It's free!

a/c recharge help!!!

PhillyV8Power

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey guys,my a/c stopped blowing cold last year.The compressor was not turning at all.It was blowing warm air.So I get a recharge can with the gauge.I set the temp thing to 85degrees,i fill it a little and the compressor starts to cycle on and off alittle ,not fast but it starts working..Now ive put about a half a can in,and its still blowing hot but when the compressor goes on the gauge almost hits the red,then when it goes off the pressure drops.what am I doing wrong???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is a small valve on your heater core lines, that has a vacuum pipe coming off it. make sure that is opening/closing all the way. i just had a smiler problem like you have, and it turned out that valve wasnt closing all the way.

When the compressor cycles off, the system pressures will start to equalize. Ignore that reading, you want the reading in the green corresponding to the outside temp while the compressor is engaged (pumping).

so when the compressor comes on use that reading as the proper one?Its like 90-95 degrees out if that matters

It also helps to shake the can when recharging the a/c. I even hold the can upside down to get the system to take the refrigerant. I have been doing it this way for years.

Im sorry to be a pain,but how do reads the gauge?i just don't wanna overfill it.

First, set the ac control to "max ac" to keep the compressor running. Setting it to 85 might make it cycle on and off.
The proper reading is achieved with compressor running--yes.

if the gauge is already going into the red, you're probably overfilled now. overfilling can make the compressor turn off due to high pressure. make sure the heater valve is closed (actually your year may not have a heater valve. Ford did away with them in '98 i think). if you don't have a heater valve, it could be you have a blend door problem.

First, set the ac control to "max ac" to keep the compressor running. Setting it to 85 might make it cycle on and off.

i think the OP is referring to the setting on the gauge on the can of refrigerant. some have an outside air temp setting.

^^ This.. and.. with the compressor off you will be in the red on that gauge. The pressure is normally "around" the ambient temperature when the compressor isn't running which means you'll be about 95 psi until the compressor turns on..

This is why I like to use a real gauge (manifold) set and then just buy the cheap cans. You keep the "can" turned off until the compressor is running then open the valve to the can so you don't push the higher pressure into the can.

Harbor Freight Tools has a manifold set on sale right now for just < $60 using their current flyer. (http://www.harborfreight.com/retail-flyer). Heck an evacuation pump is on sale right now too for $104 from them.

~Mark

ok got it working thanks guys!!!

Back