• Register Today It's free!

A4LD dipstick tube removal

cweagle

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
So there appears to be a (rusty) bracket holding the trans dipstick tube to the back of the engine block. I had heard that this tube was supposed to pull right out - do I need to take off this incredibly irritatingly located bracket, or will the tube pull out of the trans on its' own when I lower it (and stay attached to the engine)?

BTW, thanks for the flexplate bolt help. Got those off this morning and basically only have the crossmember (which I've loosened), the dipstick tube, and the cooler lines left to go before the trans is out!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Right, the bracket appeared to be spot-welded to the tube. But what I can't tell is if the tube is positively attached to the trans itself (in which case I don't know how to disconnect it), or if it will pull out when I lower the trans to get to the cooler lines.

In any case, I have a couple more days to puzzle over this, since I kind of messed up one of the trans-to-engine bolt heads, and now need to cut the exhaust system out to get room. Won't that be fun. At least I'll be able to replace all the rusted-out, rattley heat shields.

Rereading your post - are you saying that what I should do is remove that bracket, and then just pull the tube out? Sounds good to me. I'd guess I should put some tape or something over the resulting hole in the trans when I do that.

Have to climb a ladder to get to the back of the engine when it's way up on stands, though :)

Rereading your post - are you saying that what I should do is remove that bracket, and then just pull the tube out?
Yes. The tube is only held in by the stud on the bracket. The end is just a push in fit into another tube.

Back