• Register Today It's free!

A4LD trans cooler question

JDwornik

Reaction score
City, State
La Salle,MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
I have a 94 limited I picked up for a project a few months back. I just put a new trans and built motor in it and getting ready to install the new trans cooler lines. The old ones were rusted bad , so I ran new steel lines up to the core support.

I also bought a new HD trans cooler and I was wondering if I should just cap off the trans lines going into the radiator or should I still run the lines through the new cooler and then the radiator? Also any one have any diagrams on how the trans cooler lines flow?

Thanks in advance, Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 94 limited I picked up for a project a few months back. I just put a new trans and built motor in it and getting ready to install the new trans cooler lines. The old ones were rusted bad , so I ran new steel lines up to the core support.

I also bought a new HD trans cooler and I was wondering if I should just cap off the trans lines going into the radiator or should I still run the lines through the new cooler and then the radiator? Also any one have any diagrams on how the trans cooler lines flow?

Thanks in advance, Jason

http://www.txchange.com/cooler.htm#cooler return line chart

They say the top line is the return, bottom is feed. I ran two stacked plate coolers, through the rad as it helps bring your trans to operating temp quicker. If I was going to tow I think I would not run through the rad. I also went to Princess Auto and bought a hydraulic filter head and am now running a large canister filter (big engine oil filter) to help filter garbage out of my tranny. Never hurts to make improvements when you can.

If you do continue to use the rad cooler, I suggest getting a Pro King flush kit, 16 bucks at the parts house, and it comes with a magnetic in-line auxiliary filter and the necessary clamps, etc. Flush the old coolers out with it, then install the filter.

Well the new trans and trans cooler lines are in already. I have a brand new radiator and H.D. Hayden trans cooler waiting to go in. Just forgot how the lines were ran and wasn't sure if I should bypass the cooler in the radiator.

Back