About those ten thousand voice commands... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

About those ten thousand voice commands...

baxterdown

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
What I always use:

• Call
  • Play playlist
  • Destination
What I use once in a while:

• Sirius
  • Climate temperature
What I never use:

• The other 9,995 commands
What I wish I could use but I can't because it doesn't exist! :fire:

• Driver A/C on
What about you guys?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll second that, seat control should be there.

I also agree that seat temp control would be nice. The command that always seems to trip me up is that I say "Dial (person's name)" instead of "Call (person's name)". And of course when you say dial MFT wants a series of digits to dial, not a name to call. But I understand why they have it that way, I just need to learn.

So far we have used voice commands to:

Play song
Play artist
Play composer
Play album

It is also used to tune in the local OTA radio stations (including HD sub-channels) and Sirius stations.

We have used it to call people and tweak the climate controls (but the climate stuff was not as useful).

We have entered in numerous navigation destinations and used other functions, including my wife having the Nav find a restaurant and then telling MFT to dial the number to make reservations! I love it, my wife is going to become a MFT power-user :)

I am actually finding the voice to be much more useful that I would have imagined. It still could be a little faster, but we don't touch the entertainment quadrant anymore unless we want to see more information about the playing song...I wonder if there is a voice command for that, hehe.

The biggest change I would like to see is the integration of the function and command entries... i.e. not having to pause after saying radio, usb, or climate. It would be nice to just be able to say USB Play song "Allstar" without having to pause after saying USB, and MFT being then requesting the specific command. That one change alone would massively increase the actual utility AND practicality of the voice commands.

Overall, I give the voice commands a :thumbsup:, but Ford, could you please add the seat controls to the voice menu? ;)

I am actually finding the voice to be much more useful that I would have imagined. It still could be a little faster, but we don't touch the entertainment quadrant anymore unless we want to see more information about the playing song...I wonder if there is a voice command for that, hehe.

Try one of these, VinceL:

What's this?
What is this?
Who's this?
Who is this?
Who plays this?
What's playing?
What is playing?
What's playing now?
What is playing now?
What song is this?
Which song is this?
What track is this?
Which track is this?
What artist is this?
Which artist is this?
Who's playing?
Who is playing?

:)

Rebecca

i.e. not having to pause after saying radio, usb, or climate.

VinceL - I don't have to use those commands - at all - (unless switching in the entertainment from one source to another) - but have you tried without them? The guy at the Sync seminar said the new version didn't have to do that. (I was the only one there with a 2013).

Thanks Rebecca, we'll have to try those :)

VinceL - I don't have to use those commands - at all - (unless switching in the entertainment from one source to another) - but have you tried without them? The guy at the Sync seminar said the new version didn't have to do that. (I was the only one there with a 2013).

Every time we tried to run it all together, or just use a command, the MFT lady complains and tells us to say climate, radio... yada, yada, yada.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow, and now that we are a bit more familiar with the commands, hopefully it will work better. Maybe we were just saying things incorrectly.

Now that I think about it, the problem occurred when asking it to tune a radio station while listening to the USB. That was probably it.

Now that I think about it, the problem occurred when asking it to tune a radio station while listening to the USB. That was probably it.

Yeah, that probably wasn't real helpful :p

I find that as long as I'm doing a *different* function (like telling it to call someone when the usb is playing) - it does just fine. Like from the home screen, I can say "set destination" or whatever - and it works fine without saying "navigation" first. But if I want to go to the radio from USB I'd have to use the proper commands first then tell it the channel.

Yeah, that probably wasn't real helpful :p

I find that as long as I'm doing a *different* function (like telling it to call someone when the usb is playing) - it does just fine. Like from the home screen, I can say "set destination" or whatever - and it works fine without saying "navigation" first. But if I want to go to the radio from USB I'd have to use the proper commands first then tell it the channel.

That is the issue exactly. Unfortunately, that is the one where it would be most useful to be able to jump around more quickly. I don't mind having to say radio, but it would be nice if I could just run it all together, without having to take that awkward long pause waiting for MFT to get in gear :) It's mainly the times when I want to switch over and check the traffic report quickly and then go back to what I was listening to.

The Nav works great, we are destination POI'ing all over town!

I too would love to see voice commands for the seat heating/cooling controls.

Anyone know if there is a voice command to get back to the home screen? I haven't come accross that yet. I know it's just a single finger tap to get there but it would be nice at times to use a voice command for that.

Any chance IVT is going to post a comprehensive list of the 10k list of commands? I have yet to see one.

Anyone know if there is a voice command to get back to the home screen? I haven't come accross that yet. I know it's just a single finger tap to get there but it would be nice at times to use a voice command for that.

TRK1,

Since there isn't a voice command for those, you should start a new Your Idea on social.ford.com :) Others may feel the same way!

Any chance IVT is going to post a comprehensive list of the 10k list of commands? I have yet to see one.

I'll see what I can do, 2k11Explorer!

Rebecca

Global voice commands

Action

Commands

Display the home screen = "Main menu"

-ern

Hey everyone!

Here's our new support page with voice commands listed by Category:

http://Support.Ford.com/sync-technology/voice-command-categories-sync-myford-touch

Enjoy!

Rebecca

Rebecca, I went to the website and found what I thought was a very exciting set of commands.

- Play TV Show
- Play Movie
- Play TV Show Episode
- Etc.

I ran to the car as soon as I saw that and connected my iPod Touch only to find out that MFT just plays the audio from TV shows and movies. Excuse my foul language, but why the H*LL would I want to listen to a TV show????

I'm so tired of of this POS system. It's one let down and misleading lie after the other. Slowly but surely Ford has turned me into a hater.

Rebecca, I went to the website and found what I thought was a very exciting set of commands.

- Play TV Show
- Play Movie
- Play TV Show Episode
- Etc.

I ran to the car as soon as I saw that and connected my iPod Touch only to find out that MFT just plays the audio from TV shows and movies. Excuse my foul language, but why the H*LL would I want to listen to a TV show????

I'm so tired of of this POS system. It's one let down and misleading lie after the other. Slowly but surely Ford has turned me into a hater.

Funny, I didn't get that from your post ;)

- Play TV Show
- Play Movie
- Play TV Show Episode
- Etc.

Do you have the Apple Video and audio connector hitched up to the iDevice while you hit Play TV Show or Movie? It will not do it through Bluetooth. I have the cable and I will let you know if it works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

- Play TV Show
- Play Movie
- Play TV Show Episode
- Etc.

I'm sorry you feel let down, baxterdown! Did you have an A/V cable connected? RonJrSVCMGR is correct, you cannot stream video via Bluetooth or only the USB cable. Please see the note above the USB/SD Card voice commands:

"To view video, the vehicle must be in Park with the engine running and the iPod connected through the USB port and the three RSA jacks. Otherwise, SYNC plays only the audio track."

However, "RSA" should be RCA. We're getting the typo corrected.

Thanks Rebecca, :salute: I was looking for this!

You're welcome, Coronel!

Rebecca

Back