• Register Today It's free!

abs noise maybe

chetrick87

Reaction score
City, State
CHETRICK87@GMAIL.COM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer xlt
I have an 05 explorer xlt 4.0 rsc. When my auto 4wd kicks in, while in the snow, I get a noise coming from the front. It sounds a lot like the noise when I'm stopping and the and kicks in. Any ideas on what that noise is? I have to check to see if it happens while in 4x4 high but i do not think so. Or when I turn my traction off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like.a scraping or grinding.

Anyone have any noises when the 4wd engages

I have an 04 that does not have rsc but rather just the previous "auto 4x4" i have not noticed any noise when the 4x4 kicks in but i have noticed that its not a very smooth transition at all its rather violent which is why i choose to use 4x4 hi any time im on a snow covered road.. do you notice a rather ruff transition from 2x4 to 4x4 when it auto kicks in?

I have an 05 explorer xlt 4.0 rsc. When my auto 4wd kicks in, while in the snow, I get a noise coming from the front. It sounds a lot like the noise when I'm stopping and the and kicks in. Any ideas on what that noise is? I have to check to see if it happens while in 4x4 high but i do not think so. Or when I turn my traction off.

I have the same Explorer as you and when my Auto 4x4 kicks in briefly, there is some brief growling/grinding type of noise I can hear from the front end and it is normal. It's just from the sudden "in and out" engagement of the 4 wheel drive system and you will also hear it when you are doing slow speed turns, like pulling into a parking space etc. and the wheels slip for a moment on ice or snow. In 4x4 high mode, you should really only hear that noise when making slow speed turns and it is normal. To hear some "brief" front end growling noise from the 4x4 system is normal when it is engaged. I recently drove a new 2014 Chevy Silverado Pickup 4x4 for a week and it did the same thing when the auto 4x4 kicked in or in 4x4 high mode making tight, slow speed turns. If the noise doesn't go away at some point in 4wheel drive, then I'd be concerned.

which is why i choose to use 4x4 hi any time im on a snow covered road..

I agree with this ^ as well. Better off just selecting 4x4 high mode when driving on snow and ice. It should eliminate that sudden auto 4x4 engagement noises as the wheels slip.

Thanks a lot for the input makes me feel better about my noises. Along with a rear end whine I'm hearing which I was quoted 600 to change the bearings in the transfer case and he said something about grinding down a bearing so it fits. Not really sure why. My 4wd kicks in fine I'm assuming. It lights up that it's on. There's no jerking or noises when I switch it over. It just lights up instantly.

When I do sharp turns at low speeds it feels like the truck skips or lurches

Thanks a lot for the input makes me feel better about my noises. Along with a rear end whine I'm hearing which I was quoted 600 to change the bearings in the transfer case and he said something about grinding down a bearing so it fits. Not really sure why. My 4wd kicks in fine I'm assuming. It lights up that it's on. There's no jerking or noises when I switch it over. It just lights up instantly.

I don't have the rear end whine as many others have, but if you look thru the forum archives on that subject, you'll find plenty of remedies to try to quiet down the rear diff whine. Could be as simple as changing gear oil brands.
On the 4x4 working correctly, you should be able to feel the front wheels grab/turn when in 4x4 high mode when pulling away from a stop and notice a great improvement in traction on snow.

When I do sharp turns at low speeds it feels like the truck skips or lurches

That is the" binding "you feel from the front end in 4x4 mode. It's normal for slow speed tight turns.

Well the binding and jumping happens in 2wd also. I was thinking about changing the fluid to see if the whining goes away but in buffalo we haven't had weather over 15 degrees in a while. Also I got my oil changed at sears auto and noticed on the paperwork the tire tread for all four are different. The tread on passenger rear has worn more than the rest.

Well the binding and jumping happens in 2wd also. I was thinking about changing the fluid to see if the whining goes away but in buffalo we haven't had weather over 15 degrees in a while. Also I got my oil changed at sears auto and noticed on the paperwork the tire tread for all four are different. The tread on passenger rear has worn more than the rest.

Even when you are in "rear wheel drive or 2 wheel drive" you are always in "auto 4x4 mode" at all times and the binding noises from the front end will still occur when there is wheel slippage of any kind. Any wheel slippage of any kind will cause the auto 4x4 mode to kick in briefly and you will hear those front end binding noises.
Sears just told you what your problem is, your tire tread depth or wear is different from each tire. This is why your auto 4x4 mode keeps kicking in and out. You will need to get all 4 tires of the same size and tread wear to be roughly the same or your auto 4x4 system will keep kicking in. If your current 4 tires were all bought at the same time and same size and some tires are worn worse than others, you probably have some kind steering or suspension problem going on such as bad tie rods, ball joints or possibly just out of alignment. If you take it in for a wheel alignment, they should be able to tell you what if anything is causing your tires to wear unevenly. Until you get the problem sorted, you can disable your 'auto 4x4 mode" by pulling fuses #17 and #18 from the Power Distribution Box located on the driver side fender(behind the battery) in the engine compartment (under the hood). Removing these 2 fuses will cause you to be in straight 2 wheel drive, rear wheels only, no 4 wheel drive. This will stop the binding noises you currently hear. Once you get the issue corrected, just reinstall the fuses and you'll be back in auto 4x4 mode.

Awesome I didn't think I could just pull fuses for 2wd. I thought I had to do the bwm. So if I pull the fuses I won't be able to out it in 4wd hi right? And I bought the truck during the summer so I'm not sure if the tires were all bought at the same time. They all are the same kind. Any idea what could cause the back Passenger to wear significantly? Would bad transfer case bearings cause any problems? Once I get all this figured out I can try and tackle the 11 mpg issue. Love this site!

Awesome I didn't think I could just pull fuses for 2wd. I thought I had to do the bwm. So if I pull the fuses I won't be able to out it in 4wd hi right? And I bought the truck during the summer so I'm not sure if the tires were all bought at the same time. They all are the same kind. Any idea what could cause the back Passenger to wear significantly? Would bad transfer case bearings cause any problems? Once I get all this figured out I can try and tackle the 11 mpg issue. Love this site!

The "Brown Wire Mod" is just to make switching from auto 4x4 to 2 wheel drive easier than pulling the 2 fuses each time you want to get out of auto 4x4 mode. It's basically just a toggle switch you can wire up to your dash. Yes, if you pull the 2 fuses, you lose 4 wheel drive capability. On the rear tire wear, it could be a bad rear toe link, ball joint or wheel bearing or you just might need a all 4 wheels aligned correctly. A wheel alignment inspection should tell you what the problem is, but you will need to address the uneven tire wear problem as well or the auto 4x4 kicking in and out will continue. I do not believe a transfer case problem would affect your tire wear and I wouldn't worry about whether or not you have bad bearings in the transfer case just yet. Get the alignment check done first, then new tires to correct the uneven tire issue, see how the auto 4x4 works after that and go from there. On the 11 MPG issue, good luck, because that's all I get out of my Ex in the city and I've done all sorts of tune up part replacements.

Thanks I'm going to pull the fuses now then in a few days get the alignment check and new tires

Pulled the fuses and everythingns fine now. Thanks.

Pulled the fuses and everythingns fine now. Thanks.

Your welcome! Don't forget, those fuses are of different amperages so replace them in the correct fuse port once you get the tire issue sorted. #17 is a 5 Amp fuse and #18 is the 20 Amp fuse.

Well the binding and jumping is gone. But when I punch it and the tires spin it still made the noise up front. It sounds very similar to the abs noise when I stop in the snow and slide a little. Also with the fuses being pulled should my 4x4 low button light be lit up?

Ha just noticed I was talking to you again. Man I'm about sick of this cold weather we are having. It's Suppose to hit 50 during the week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the binding and jumping is gone. But when I punch it and the tires spin it still made the noise up front. It sounds very similar to the abs noise when I stop in the snow and slide a little. Also with the fuses being pulled should my 4x4 low button light be lit up?

That's good the binding and jumping is gone. Don't know why you are still hearing noises up front other than you may have another problem going on there. On the 4x4 low light lit up after pulling the 4x4 fuses, don't recall ever reading that being a secondary effect with pulling those fuses. Not sure why that happened. Maybe use the search box and look up the past posts on disabling the 4x4 system by pulling those fuses or Brown Wire Mod posts and read thru them to see if that is a common occurrence after pulling those fuses. If I have time later today, I'll try and look thru them as well to see if I can find anything about that.
I found this link below about the 4x4 low light being on. Look at posts #7 & #8 . It appears it is normal for the 4x4 light to be on when those fuses are pulled.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382698

Back