Added nav to '08, attempted to fix steering wheel buttons, STUMBLED UPON SOMETHING | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Added nav to '08, attempted to fix steering wheel buttons, STUMBLED UPON SOMETHING

Jon04CTSV

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 CTS-V, 2008 X LTD V8
Hi guys,

Have a '08 with Sync. Added the '08 nav with Sync (Unit actually came from an Edge). Everything works. Nav, Sync, etc etc. The 'voice' and 'phone' button on my steering wheels did not. So I can no longer use my voice control. I changed the switches on my steering wheel, still no dice. I've been using this for about 6 months now. Found some directions on rewiring the mic and switch to the nav unit instead of the Sync module (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259819). Doesn't make much sense to rewire the mic because people can still hear me when I'm on a call. Anyway, pulled everything apart today but could not find the right pins or figure out how to access the wires from the connector.

Here's where it gets weird... So I plug everything back in, start the car... My nav system says Installing English from Disc or something like that... Weird, never seen that before. It powers up and voice button on the steering wheel works. I can make calls, control my audio... SWEET! But I go through the nav screen and many things don't work. It's connected with my phone, but it doesn't see my phone on the screen. I cannot place calls using the screen (but can with voice). I can play songs off my USB, but the nav screen does not show the name of the song. Weird as hell.

I turn everything off, disconnect the Sync connectors in the center console and plug them back in, turn it back on, and everything's back to normal. Everything works again except for the steering wheel controls.

Can ANYONE please shed some light on this???

Obviously the head unit was able to pick up the microphone and steering wheel buttons as they worked without rewiring anything.

It seems like a software thing....

Giving an old post a bump....did you ever get a resolution for this? I'm in the market for a NAV for our '10 XLT w/Sync and no sub. I'd prefer to go with a Ford OEM unit, but am also open to an aftermarket unit as well. Thanks!

The head unit MUST be reprogrammed if moving it from one type of Ford vehicle to another. For a while, folks on eBay sold instructions on how you might do it. In addition, all Ford dealers can do it--but for a fee, of course.

Back