Adding Amps, Subs & Spkrs to Stock H.U. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Amps, Subs & Spkrs to Stock H.U.

C5 Greg

Reaction score
City, State
Millstone, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT SOHC
Hi All,

I am thinking about upgrading my XLT's sound system with new speakers, a sub and more power, however I don't want to change my head unit...yet. I like the rear controls as well as the general workings of the stock radio,. I'm not building a killer system, just a good sounding, louder one with more bass.

My questions are:

1. I was considering an amp setup with the speaker level inputs. Do the speaker level inputs work well with a good quality amp? (ex. MTX, Fosgate Punch, Kenwood or Alpine) How is the sound quality?

2. Where are good places to mount 1-2 amps and possibly a cap?

3. Can the stock door speaker locations hold 6 1/2" speakers?

4. Is anyone using the MTX Thunderforms or the JL Audio 10" sub setup which mounts in the side storage compartment? How do they sound?

Any help/ suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Here's what I did:

1) buy the 5x7 to 6.5 converter plates for the door speakers from crutchfield.com(might have to call and ask for them) for 6$ a pair

2) i used the high level inputs on my sony amp, but the connections never stayed good(kept coming loose), so i bought an inline converter from high power to low power for 40$(radio shack or electronics store)

3) run the speaker wires from directly behind the head unit ... coming from the head unit, then to the amp, then back to behind the head unit to the existing speaker leads.

i don't know about where to mount amps in an xlt, and i don't like the hiden sub systems cause the speaker faces the side, when i turn my subs to the side i can barely hear them because i think they become out of phase, so maybe someone who has them could help you out? good luck

I would like to add a more powerful amp to my aftermarket speakers, how do I tackle the stock amp. do I just remove it,bypass, leave it be, or what? thanks

Back