Aftermarket 8.8 diff covers | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket 8.8 diff covers

I hadn't thought of those being deeper rearward, the sway bar is there not far behind it. Here's a unique view from above, it shows the stock cover and the EE rear bar. There's plenty of room it looks like for most covers.

View attachment 96429

What is that box sitting on the frame above the differential ? Seeing the body off that truck makes me realize i will never have a perfect undercarriage unless the body come off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just unbolted the rear sway bar from where it connects to the rear sway bar links, which allowed me to rotate it up and out of the way to fit the new cover. Once it was bolted on I simply rotated it back down and reconnected it.

Thanks for that advice ! My mechanic hates aftermarket stuff and he is fussy unless i show him the correct way.

What is that box sitting on the frame above the differential ? Seeing the body off that truck makes me realize i will never have a perfect undercarriage unless the body come off.

That's something related to the charcoal canister fuel vapor system, where expanding fuel vapors go to/through. You can see the canisters behind the solenoid that the hose leads to, I think that box may be the end where the vapors come out after they go through the charcoal. I'd bet it just has a fuel resistant filter in it.

That's the canister vent valve filter assy. It shouldn't vent vapors out. The cvv allows fresh air in when it's open

That's the canister vent valve filter assy. It shouldn't vent vapors out. The cvv allows fresh air in when it's open

What he said, with OEM terminology.

BTW, when the air in the tank expands naturally, it comes out somewhere. It does not pressurize the tank in any significant way. It goes to the charcoal canister to start with.

Back