Aftermarket 8.8 diff covers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket 8.8 diff covers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought of getting one of those clear looking ones at one point. Thought I saw them over at summit racing.

This is the one I bought....love it! WFO Concepts
IMG_0639.JPG

I think at one time I wanted a red one.

This is the one I bought....love it! WFO ConceptsView attachment 96321

Now that is a awesome cover.I would love to paint that red and each rib would be black.Kinda like spider man.LOL.Dam now i think i should of got that one.Oh well.I will try to make mine look good.

Apics%20008.jpg

Got it in today and i am not going to paint it.I will clear coat and install.I must say that it looks even better in person then online.The online sales site makes it look mediocre.

Apics%20008.jpg

Got it in today and i am not going to paint it.I will clear coat and install.I must say that it looks even better in person then online.The online sales site makes it look mediocre.
You should paint it red, then clear coat.:)

Ha ha.Trust me i thought about it.I even asked the wife and she said it looks good as is.I am tempted to paint it red believe me.I am afraid i will hate it when its done tho.Its one of those things that once you start....Its all over.No going back.It could become a 120$ Mistake.If i hated it.

Better yet, powdercoat.

Better yet, powdercoat.

I thought about that.I bought the cheaper un painted version to save money.A nice red arb WAS LIKE 210$.I have all the paint for all 3 stages at home from previous projects.The powder coating will add much more.Then i would of been better off buying the 210$ arb.If i get a handful of people that say paint it red then i will.

Sweet cover 98 merc!!! That was the one I almost bought. You'll like the fill/drain holes on it.

You may contact user @Turdle .

He does excellent powder coating work at a reasonable price.

I already tried lol

To be honest though, I doubt the logo badge would survive the heat. It would have to be removed and re attached (glue?) . I vote leave it bare and use an acid to brighten it back if needed since it is aluminum.

I was thinking about the logo too ! It would of had to been scraped off.Thanks guys for your oppinions.So far its like 4 people that includes my wife that says leave it the way it is.1 person says paint it.

Is this a show truck, street queen or trail truck?

If it's ever going to have the potential of getting a rock smashed into it, DON'T paint it. The rock will uncover the base color and look really bad.

Is this a show truck, street queen or trail truck?

If it's ever going to have the potential of getting a rock smashed into it, DON'T paint it. The rock will uncover the base color and look really bad.

Never going off road.I have to much money invested.Never sees winter.Its a city/highway cruiser/restoration project.

Unfortunately, the cover will oxidize and look like poop after a while. Spray can clear coat will chip and peel off.

Every time you walk past your truck and look at the rear end you are going to say: "Damm I should have done that".

Just my opinion.

I vote leave it bare and use an acid to brighten it back if needed since it is aluminum.

Perhaps the acid would eat the logo up after the first cleaning?

Try the high heat clear paints for that. I recently bought a few to do other parts like the engine and trans, which will see enough heat to ruin most paints. I was thinking of a transmission pan that I got as polished aluminum. It looked great in the pictures, and even better in hand, but it won't look nice if left bare.

Jon, have you learned of the best coating for polished AL yet? I know powder coating is out still. I want to preserve the appearance if possible, and I'd buy another one for my 98 Limited if it can be protected.

For an 8.8 cover, the later IRS Explorer covers look good too if you like them. They have lots of ribbing, and one or two plugs. Plus they used to be on eBay from someone who ground the excess mounting ears off, and finished them with paint etc. They looked nice.

I always wanted the original "SVO" rear cover, but it was obsoleted ages ago. I have the next version from FMS, Jon powder coated it black for me. Thanks Turdle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jon, have you learned of the best coating for polished AL yet?

Watching for the answer.

Jon had said a while back that he was using something called Clear Aluminum?

Spent hours hand polishing my FMS valve covers. Hopefully something is out there that will bond and look good like a regular clear.

Back