• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket 8.8 diff covers

98 MERC

Reaction score
City, State
Holland Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump.

I really need advice if you can guys.So many choices, i would think an 8.8 rear is an 8.8 rear no matter what its in.

Really no need to go with the style that has bearing supports unless you have some really serious power going on.

If you do use the bearing support style be sure to follow the directions to the letter.

I have heard of some really nasty failures because people over tightened the support bolts.

I have one of the aluminum support girdle rear diffs. I was hesitant to use it hard off road and worried of cracking but it has held up well. I do get a little leak of gear oil out of the tension studs over time. I'm also running 4.88s, grizzly locker and hardened axle shafts. There is also a cammed 302 infront of it so I added it so hopefully the 8.8 axle holds together....... this time

I used to run an aluminum cover with the pre-load bolts too. I swapped out the rear axle for a Currie 60 a couple years ago. The aluminum cover is now waiting for installation on our Mustang. It's on my "roundtuit list" ;)

Here's another G2 in black powder coat with fill and drain ports and bearing load supports. Keep in mind most aftermarket diffy covers have slightly larger gear oil capacities, but the factory fill level on the axle should still be used. Also, if using a cover with bearing supports, make sure they are backed out all the way before tightening the ten gasket bolts. I'm using the bare aluminum Moser 7106 cover made by TA Performance and identical to the Ford Racing and other rebranded covers. Just be aware of Chinese knockoffs that are less expensive and "appear" the same. I'd avoid the Proform because of a couple scathing reviews on Amazon regarding fit and build quality. IIRC, the Proform is also made of a composite material. If you are doing any serious rock crawling there are many better choices made of stronger iron, but most don't have drain ports.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gta-40-2013-1alb/overview/

Yeah just to add the cover I have is an actual T/A Performance one. Definitely a quality peice.

What are you guys using for gaskets on these fancy covers ? No way in hell would i want to use a tube of silicone sealant.That seems like you are just ASKING for leaks in a couple months.

A gasket came with my FMS cover.

Or clean really well with brake cleaner and use a VERY thin coat of Locktite 515 Gasket Eliminator.

You won't find a gasket under your stock 8.8 cover when you remove it, just silicone.
LubeLocker reusable gasket is great (and expensive), but how often are you going to remove the cover?
https://www.scribd.com/document/343...i-limited-slip-and-5-0l-in-vehicle-repair-pdf

I used the FelPro gasket that came with my cover and a thin coat of Permatex Gear Oil RTV on both sides.
Permatex® Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker - Permatex

Very interesting ! My mechanic did change my gear oil last year and i didin't even think of what to ask him on the gasket he used lol.Maybe he used RTV ? hmm.Hell i didint even know they made specific sealant for a differential.

I use I thin bead of rtv to seal my cover. I use the high torque grey rtv. If you use grey rtv and clean the factory steel cover really good you do have a chance bending the cover removing it. It holds really well!

Any time you use rtv on the rear diff cover never use more than a 1/4" bead. The excess will go inside the diff and get into the bearings.

Doesn't look like the Solid cover has a drain plug.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't look like the Solid cover has a drain plug.

Yea i dont think it does.I was looking at the SOLID covers as they are cheap and nice looking but i need a drain and fill.

Back