Air Bag Removal | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Bag Removal

it will start and run but you, obviously, will get a SRS code.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of the state requirements before turning in the car for salvage is that the dashboard be installed.
On a 1997 Explorer, can the airbag covers be removed from both airbags and reinstalled over the steering wheel and dashboard with the airbags removed or are they part of the airbags?

air bag covers are part of the assemblys.
I am not quite sure what you are asking...

If dashboard covers can be removed from the airbags, I would like to mount them back into the dashboard, if possible, so that the dashboard itself is complete per the state requirements. I am guessing that the covers are part of the airbag and attach to the airbags and not to a frame in the dash??

yes.
They are all one part.

Just an update, I still have my 98 Explorer with both bags deployed, it has been the most loyal car I've owned, moved from So Fla to Colorado in 2010, however I was working in Cheyenne WY. and living near Ft Collins, CO. drove every day for 3 hrs to and from work, I did this for about 8 months, I'm talking harsh winter driving, strong windy conditions, etc. From there I relocated to Seattle, WA. drove the Explorer all the way here, this vehicle has gone from Minnesota, to Miami, to Colorado and now Seattle in the past three years, drive nearly daily and has given me ZERO problems, I have not fixed the side damage, nor replaced the airbags yet, I think I will get them done this weekend, this vehicle deserves all the love in the world. Now my boys are older we go fishing almost every weekend, dirt roads, etc. I drive in traffic every day and have gone up to Stevens pass a few times, snow, rain, dirt nothing stops this Explorer. Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.
Regards,

Back