• Register Today It's free!

Air intake question

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XLT
On the bottom part of the OEM air intake box, what is that big hose for that connects to the header? I ask because I've already replaced the stock air filter with a conical one, and am in the process of replacing the entire assembly that leads to the throttle body. Right now, the conical filter rests on the bottom part of the OEM box until I rig up something to hold it in place. I want to remove the entire air intake box that contained the old filter, but I don't know what that hose leads to, or how to ensure that water or debris doesn't need to get into the engine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is a heat riser it alows heat to your engine on cold days

The part isn't needed (My '93 didn't come with one from the factory). Its primary purpose as Chris wrote is to bring the engine up to normal operating temp faster which will save a slight amount of fuel on cold days.

Thanks

Thanks for the information. The reason I ask is because I want to remove the entire assembly and fabricate a mount for my new filter, i just don't want to expose the engine to any unwanted elements. Can I seal that particular opening or should I run a tube higher up?

And on a side note, Derocha. Your X is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks for the information. The reason I ask is because I want to remove the entire assembly and fabricate a mount for my new filter, i just don't want to expose the engine to any unwanted elements. Can I seal that particular opening or should I run a tube higher up?

IMO you can remove any extraneous air box ducting as they serves no purpose with an open filter element. More importantly the lower air box duct which is routed behind the bumper is dangerous if fording water.. The duct is normally used to send fresh outside air to the air box after the Bi-metal sensor has reached its operating temperature. As such if you were to hit some water at bumper height the duct could fast track a stream of water onto your air filter and hydro-lock your engine :eek: (I've seen this 1st hand on a lifted explorer in 18" of water).

Note: Save all air box components in case you need them for Emission related inspections. Some states require you to have OEM parts and may fail you for an After market filter/intake.

Here are some threads on Bi-metal sensors and AM filters.
After market intake
Bi-Metal Sensor Questions

And on a side note, Derocha. Your X is absolutely beautiful.

Why thank you for the compliment. I try to keep it clean inside and out. My X is no trailer Queen; it sees hard action and tight trails that have it rubbing tree branches on both sides all the time (lots of paint scratches )

Back