• Register Today It's free!

Doors off... (illegal or legal)?

ExplorerJimbo

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer XLT
I was driving around town the other day with the doors off of my truck, pulled up to a red light and a guy in a truck beside me said it was illegal to do have your doors off... then i thought jeeps do it all the time...

so my question is... is it illegal to drive around town with your doors off of your explorer? does anyone know? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think its illegal cuz you lose the side mirrors when you have no doors.

Well In PA.

You can not run without doors, unless you have a 6" door sill. T &YJ's can not because theirs is 4" tall but CJ's can with their 6" ones.

I can with my 3/4 doors.

Also you only need 2 mirrors.

i think you only need the driver's side mirror, sometimes they dont even put a passenger's side mirror on cars.

here in texas you only have to have one mirror. i just have the rear view. i have no doors on my ranger with a full size hp 44 and full size 9" never got pulled over and drive it every day!! the inside of my tires or outside of my body!!

6 inch lip thats it....fab something that just bolts in...

yeah... i had thought that about the mirrors too... i guess the only way to solve it would be to make some 3/4 doors...

ill just do a search and see what i can come up with... or if anyone has any pictures of what they've done with their doors i'd like to see them!

thanks everyone!

yeah... i had thought that about the mirrors too... i guess the only way to solve it would be to make some 3/4 doors...

ill just do a search and see what i can come up with... or if anyone has any pictures of what they've done with their doors i'd like to see them!

thanks everyone!

rausch033.jpg

rausch005.jpg

check your state laws...in Ohio you just need one rear facing mirror..so you might not need the 6" sill.

I think its illegal cuz you lose the side mirrors when you have no doors.

That may depend on the state laws. California you can do without side mirrors as long as you have a front windshield mounted rear-view mirror and NO TINT or other rearward view obstruction.

Then again they might get you on some technicality or something weak.

well since my last post i did a search on 3/4 doors and saw firezappers doors... well me and a good friend of mine went to work at about 10pm last night on some 3/4 doors till 4am then got back up at 9am to work on them till 4ish today...

im posting pictures of what we've come up with... its somewhat similar to firezappers... just go to the offroad fabrication project thread. thanks for everyones help!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185911

I was thinking about making the quick release doors too and wondering about the whole missing mirrors problem. I saw a wrangler parked somewhere with a bracket welded onto each fender, just in front of the doors. It looked like he would be able to use the mirrors that end with the curved thin rod by sliding the rod through the bracket and then securing it. That's probably what I'll do if I ever bother/have time to make the quick release doors. Good luck.

Its not always illegal, but you know when driving around town... it probaily isent the safest thing in the world.
If you get t-boned you're probaily gonna have the other car in your lap

I know this thread is a little old, but I just used a clamp on mirror, I think from JCW for something like $15. Then clamped it onto the hinge half that is still bolted to the body.
I've run doorless the last 2 summers with this mirror. I even stopped and asked an officer if it was legal, and he said yeah, with the mirror (I don't think they really care about the 6" tub, unless they just want to write you a ticket, and flip through the book to find something).
2285397_20_full.jpg

2285397_21_full.jpg

I have had mine dorless many times and since in Ohio you only need one rear facing mirrior it is techincally legal. It's not the safest thing in the worlld but its really fun and makes visability really good when wheeling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I live in Indiana an I want to just take doors off my dd is bit legal?

Back