• Register Today It's free!

am I getting in over my head?

best X

Reaction score
City, State
IRB florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 SPORT
well, I've been looking at getting a 4x4 as new toy for me. The one i was looking at is a 1992 explorer sport its got a 6in lift, 35" superswampers and 4:10 gears. But when i contacted the person about the truck he said that the 4WD is not working right now, he has a reciept that the transfer case was just rebuilt and he says that he has narrowed it down to the solenoid for the 4WD. well, I was searchign the forum and I just kept running into a wall everything when i searched kept leading me to the BWM. So would it be a easy fix or is he lieing about the solenoid for the 4WD.
(ooh sorry i left out all he said is when he engages the 4WD he hears a "click" and it does not engage)

-Travis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I was having trouble starting my Explorer, I'd turn the key over, and it'd just click at the solenoid on the fender wall. There wasn't enough current/no current getting through to the starter. So to me, sounds like a solenoid might need replacing or possibly a cleaning if it's dirty enough.

Depending on how much he's selling it for, it might be worth to buy it without the 4x4 working. There's enough information on this site I"m sure you coudl get it fixed.

If all else fails you could always use vice grips to change the transfer case settings

sorry for any confusion but the transfer case was just rebuilt so it wouldn't be that or atleast it shouldn't be it.

Also is replacing the solenoid an expensive fix? and hes selling it for about $2400 so im not really sure. It might not even be the solenoid and then what have I done ha bc buying this will kinda drain my funds for an expensive fix.

Its possibly the shift motor since there notorious for failing. Mine old elec t-case used to do the same thing when I first bought my truck so I replaced it with a motor from the junkyard and it worked. Theres a also a few threads on here about rebuilding them if you're low on cash. Or you can just swap the elev t-case for a manual one. I got EXTREMELY lucky last week and found a manual 1354 t-case just laying on the ground(I guess somebody pulled a tranny and didnt want to pay extra for the t-case) and it only cost me 75bucks and I didnt even have to get under the truck to pull it out. Now I just got to find a shifter since my 1350 shifter wont work on it.

2400$ is a steal, buy it, go to a junkyard and pick up a manual t case if you have to its an easy swap.

Have you found the shifter yet for the manual t-case. I did an auto to manual converison last year after my shifter motor went AWOL (took it apart and found the bushing in pieces and opted to go manual) It took me several weeks to find the shifter linkage and boot, I searched high and low at every wrecking yard in Washington state, lucked out and found one in perfect condition, not sure how rare they are but that vehice in the wrecking yard was the only stock 5 speed w/manual t-case I have ever seen, and I have seen alot of these cars. I got lucky. I am going back to that yard this weekend to get a rear end...If I find another one I will buy it and keep it in the inventory.

when my 4wd didnt work.. it was the shift/selector motor. I just pulled it off and hooked up to a car battery and ran for 30 secs in both directions about 5 or 6 times. The shift motor only turns about 30degrees for selecting 2wd to 4wd. So pulling it and running like i described will work and clean the brushes on the motor.

just buy drapers
:D

I replaced the little rubber bushing that limits the switch's travel. I replaced it with some firm rubber vacuum line.

Works excellent. While this was on my 1990 Ranger 4x4, it works equally with the Ex...

Make sure the hubs aren't blown too. Check the hubs, are they stock automatics or manual?

If you're hearing a 'click', try rotating the front drive shaft after shifting into 4wd. Also try rotating the front drive shaft while in N with the hubs locked.

Back