Announcing: NEW TRUCK! 2001 Eddie Bauer Northern IL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Announcing: NEW TRUCK! 2001 Eddie Bauer Northern IL

Yes, it's true, my 1995 is for sale in the state it is in (I messed the frame up a bit from an offroad mistake) since it's not ablt to be a daily driver anymore due to the front end needing alignment and some other work, i went out and purchased a 2001 Eddie Bauer with the V-8 AWD powertrain. i purchased it with just about 36,000 miles on it....that was 2 weeks ago...now the X has 42,000 miles on the clock (Thats what a vacation out to the Rockeis will do I guess) SO far I have put my new truck to the test by towing a 5,500 pound trailer down to Kentucky and back, then a couple days later loading up with camping gear and heading out west. I was suprised how much strain that 5.0L V-8 had towing the 5,500 pound trailer. The truck is rated for 6,500 pound trailer, but just hauling the 5,500 pounds was pretty hard on it..I couldn;t imagine anything heavier. In the mountains, especially at higher altitudes the V-8 felt just like my old V-6, which suprised me, but here at sea level on flat land with no load...that V-8 flys. On the way home from the mountains, still loaded down wiht the camping gear, I managed to squeeze just about 21 MPG out of the V-8 (20.8 according to the computer display) Personally i think thats pretty darn good. I am getting the same gas milage as my old V-6 (if not a little bit better milage) No gripes about the truck, except that the front seats don;t seem as comfortable as the leather seats in my old 95 XLT.
Other then that it's a good truck and once i pay it off and start modding it, I'm sure it'll fufill any SUV driver's power needs.

Cool....congrats on the new truck... got any pictures of it yet? what will your future mods be? lowered or lifted?

Thanks. I'm not sure what I want done yet, i'm thinking a slight lift to lift the rear end up a bit and get those running boards a bit higher off the ground. I did the OME springs on my old explorer, but I am thinking something more mild for this new truck. The OME's were great, but they also brought on a new kind of stiffness which i would rather not have in the eddie bauer, plus i need something mild since i have a 6 year, 100,000 mile extended warentee now and I don;t need ford to gripe about anything I do to it.

Back