Another retread thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another retread thread

I did a search for retread and got lots of threads, but most of them were 10 years old at least, and none seemed to address my question.

So I'm considering retreads, and I'm looking at TreadWright and Tirerecappers (if there's another, let me know). In the description for each tire, Tire Recappers lists a "minimum of 65 psi". I have a 1 ton truck with a pressure listing of 80 psi for the rear, presumably because of the weight, but only 40 for the front. To say I should run at least 65 psi on a mid size SUV with a fraction of the load my truck could carry seems odd to me.

So I sent them an email a couple weeks ago to ask if they could clarify and I never got a response, which is not a good sign, and suggests to me that I shouldn't buy from them. But I'm still curious, especially since I didn't see any such requirement on the TreadWright website. So does anybody know why these tires would require such a high pressure rating? Does this mean you can't air down a retread for off road use?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

I used to sell a ton of "re-pops". All of the big rigs replace all their tires with
retreads (IIRC Bandag was the best) except on the steer axle. Make sure to get
matched pairs!! Sometimes vehicles get squirrelly because sidewall flex differences.

Funny on the air pressure though. I found the max but no min.
The worst that could happen w/ 65 PSI FT. would be a little rougher ride
and maybe slight excessive wear in center of the tread.

A great high pressure gas shock will take care of the excessive pressure
or smooth out the ride.

I did a search for retread and got lots of threads, but most of them were 10 years old at least, and none seemed to address my question.

So I'm considering retreads, and I'm looking at TreadWright and Tirerecappers (if there's another, let me know). In the description for each tire, Tire Recappers lists a "minimum of 65 psi". I have a 1 ton truck with a pressure listing of 80 psi for the rear, presumably because of the weight, but only 40 for the front. To say I should run at least 65 psi on a mid size SUV with a fraction of the load my truck could carry seems odd to me.

So I sent them an email a couple weeks ago to ask if they could clarify and I never got a response, which is not a good sign, and suggests to me that I shouldn't buy from them. But I'm still curious, especially since I didn't see any such requirement on the TreadWright website. So does anybody know why these tires would require such a high pressure rating? Does this mean you can't air down a retread for off road use?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
not sure of who retreads but i know theyre popular with trucking given how expensive new ones are. imo aint nothin wrong with em

wonder if theyre changing something like the plies? aint no tire nerd when it comes to plies, but for example a load E takes more press than C for example. not sure what specifically determines the ply rating so i may just be clueless. all i can do is talk about siping and tread patterns 😂

and imo sometimes i dont teust what they say sometimes they say the max as the reccomended and what not. imo hest thing is to do the chalk test and see how it goes

How much would you save with a retread vs new? I am a truck driver, and I won't put a retread on any of my equipment cause they are far more likely to blow than a new tire. When it does go it makes a mess of everything around it. Saving a few hundred on tires to spend a few thousand on repairs isn't worth the hassle to me.

Back