Anti-Lock Breaks: Serious Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anti-Lock Breaks: Serious Question

Luke G.

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.0
Hey everyone, I recently made a post about my Anti-Lock Break problem on my 2002 Ford Explorer. Well, when I went to one of our local auto parts store, O'Reilly's, I had them scan the computer for any codes. I was very shocked in the codes that came out with only two lights on. The (ABS) light and the airbag light (which is not related to any of the codes that came out). These codes are very confusing and I really don't have the resources but the internet to look any of these up. I have found some leads on the internet but they have to do with a pretty wide variety of thinks that could be wrong . Im going to type the codes and what the auto part store said and what i found online so bear with me!

B1676- Battery Pack Voltage Out of Range (ABS related)
B2900- VIN Mismatch (ABS related, possibly the VIN on the ABS pump)
C1805- PCM And/or ABS Module Mismatch (ABS related)
U1262- Standard Communication Protocol Communication Bus Malfunction
C1235- Wheel Speed Left and Right Rear Input Signal Missing
C1236- Same thing as C1235 But I think one is for the left and one is for the right
P1565- Speed Control Command Switch Out of Range "High" (Cruise Control Related I Believe)

Thank You For Helping! Let Me Know if You Have Any Questions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I am not familiar with all of these, but the U1262-Standard Communication Protocol Communication Bus Malfunction could be a bad wire harness somewhere. Check all of the connectors to the ABS and such to make sure they are not corroded or have any frayed wires.
The 2002 explorer does not have a speed sensor on the rear wheels, instead it has a single speed sensor on the top of the rear differential. ( This might be different if you have traction Control ) The C1235 and the C1236 show up when this goes bad. Check the connector, but the sensor may need to be replaced. I remember doing it on my 2003 Explorer a few years ago for those codes. It is awkward to reach, but not difficult to do. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3099423&cc=1377671&jsn=475

Are all these problems possibly related to the infamous wire harness problem where it rubs against the plastic oil filter chute....HERE?

was there any prior work done to ABS? the vin mismatch error seems to indicate it was replaced.
Yes, it was hit with a deer and from what the person told me, they put a new abs module in

Are all these problems possibly related to the infamous wire harness problem where it rubs against the plastic oil filter chute....HERE?
I dont think so because I have a 4.0 v6. Thanks for looking into it!!

Well, I am not familiar with all of these, but the U1262-Standard Communication Protocol Communication Bus Malfunction could be a bad wire harness somewhere. Check all of the connectors to the ABS and such to make sure they are not corroded or have any frayed wires.
The 2002 explorer does not have a speed sensor on the rear wheels, instead it has a single speed sensor on the top of the rear differential. ( This might be different if you have traction Control ) The C1235 and the C1236 show up when this goes bad. Check the connector, but the sensor may need to be replaced. I remember doing it on my 2003 Explorer a few years ago for those codes. It is awkward to reach, but not difficult to do. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3099423&cc=1377671&jsn=475
Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply. Yea I found it funny when it said left and right because I knew it had only one rear sensor. My Explorer doesn't have traction control (Thank God because that would be more problems) But do you know where to look for the wires? Im not very familiar with the ABS system, I only know where the pump is (The thing that has all the brake lines coming out of it) Thanks again!

the previous owner just probably replaced it by himself and call it a day without knowing that it need to be programmed to the PCM. If you have a high end scanner than can reflash the abs module and load the vin specific module you're good otherwise it will be a trip to the dealership. Luckily yours is not dependent on abs so there are no major issues other than abs is not working properly.

the previous owner just probably replaced it by himself and call it a day without knowing that it need to be programmed to the PCM. If you have a high end scanner than can reflash the abs module and load the vin specific module you're good otherwise it will be a trip to the dealership. Luckily yours is not dependent on abs so there are no major issues other than abs is not working properly.
So does that cause it not to work at all? Because it doesn't work at all but only after it sits for a few days, and even then, only lasts about 3 minutes before the light comes on. But now it seems it doesnt work at all, no matter how long it sits because I drove it today for the first time in 3 days and it didnt work. But I just don't know what the main culprit is to make it not work. Thanks for reading!

Back