Any Tarus drivers ?

00XLS

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Frackville/State College PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 00 XLS
Just wondering how these were in terms of realiabilty, maint. ect? Preferably the 02's but I'd like to hear from anyone with experience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have an '01 taurus with the 24v sohc; i like it. it's been good so far, 40k plus miles, no problems at this point, knock on wood. at work, all our company cars are Taurus's. as long as they are serviced, they have been pretty reliable.
i had a little corolla before, so i like the "big car" ride of the taurus, the quiet smoothness and power (i'd make sure you get the 24v sohc). gas mileage not so great though. also, I heard that ford took care of the prior transmission problems that plagued the older taurus, but that remains to be seen; keeping my fingers crossed.

My sister has a 92 Taurus, so this probably won't help you any, but she hasn't had any trouble with it, other than that she has repeatedly ripped her muffler off, but I don't think you can blame the Taurus for that

Ahh, my favorite car, the infamous Taurus..

btw..srcoptdc , its DOHC, no SOHC was ever put in a Taurus, btw, your motor is named the Duratec.

I've owned many Taurus' in my years, and despite what people may say about them, I love em. The 3.8L's have headgasket problem (not a big deal, just a 75 dollar spendature and a day of your time), but otherwise are very reliable. Hell, my 94 Taurus Police Package still runs just fine with well over 300k on the clock and no major engine problems.

The "new" tranny's are the AX4N's, which is an upgraded AX4S, Which is an upgraded AXOD-E. So, they're not "new" tranny's, just upgraded versions. But, they're much more reliable than they used to be.

The rare 2.5L 4cyl has very little problems and can be expected to get plenty of miles out of.
The Vulcan (pushrod 3.0) is supposed to be ultra reliable, but my friends keep having problems with theirs.
The Essex (3.8L) was mentioned above
The Duratec (96-now DOHC 24v 3.0) Highly reliable with no known defects
The SHO (3.0, 3.2L) are ultra reliable with no plaguing defects, I have 200k on my SHO and she runs like a raped hog. :)
The V8 SHO (3.4L) has a Cam bearing seperation problem, they weren't welded from the factory so if you buy one, if it wasn't done, plan on having it done (700 dollar job), if that isn't done, your pistons will run right into your valves and causing major meltdown of your lil powerhouse.

So pretty much if you buy a 1/2 gen car is motor mounts (if rodded excessively) and the tranny's, IF they haven't been treated properly (frequent fluid changes), but don't forget about those factory tranny coolers (work wonders :) )

They ride very well and respond very well to modifications and with the SHO/Police Package suspension they will handle like a BMW easily.

If I can find a police package around here that they want to sell, I wouldn't think twice about buying one. Great car's in my opinion.

Friends Taurus'
Ben D. - 1993 GL, Vulcan, 180k miles
Ben S. - 1991 L Police Package, 189k miles original tranny
Ben S- 1998 SHO V8, 46,000 miles (sweet ride) Original Obviously
Wayne R. - 1995 LX, with 4.2L STROKER (3.8L stroked)Original tranny
Super sleeper right there ^^^^^
Ben (from work)- 1991 GL, 3.0, 213k, original tranny

and all of those guy's won't sell their car's for anything but another Taurus..

But don't take my word for it...

Any specific questions?
-Josh

Thanks for correcting me- you’re right, it says DOHC. Obviously I’m no mechanic, but whatever they put in there moves it pretty good.

I agree with your friends about not wanting anything else. My wife asked me what car I wanted since she’s planning on going back to work again (now that the kids in school). She knew I liked the WRX and mazda M6. Told her I’ll keep my taurus, thank you. It’s not flashy or exotic but it grows on you.

SQexplorer, clearly you know your taurus, so I have a question- was talking to another taurus owner who claims that the smaller jaguar is basically a taurus platform and drivetrain. Ever since he mentioned that, I’ve noticed that even the jag’s rear end looks strikingly taurus-ish. is the jag a glorified, overpriced taurus? He also claims that since ford also owns volvo, that they use the volvo safety technology in the taurus. Is this stuff true? If so, I’m liking my car even better!

Back