Removing intake manifold SOHC 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing intake manifold SOHC 4.0

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
How to Remove intake manifold SOHC 4.0

You might need to remove your intake manifold to replace the gaskets or get to your injectors.

FIRST. pull your fuel pump relay out while truck is running. Your truck will stop running. This will releave fuel pressure from the rails and injectors.
1) Disconnect your negative cable from your battery.
2) Remove the cover protecting the throttle body and cables.
3) Start disconnecting vacuum lines and electrical connections.

Disconnect these vacuum lines and electrical connections.
You have to remove your Throttle body (4 bolts) to be able to remove a hard line to your EGR.

Vacuum1.jpg

vacuum2.jpg

vacuum3.jpg

vacuum4.jpg

vacuum5.jpg

vacuum6.jpg

Vacuum7.jpg

It is hard to show you were the intake bolts are. Here is the intake off with the bolt pattern. To get to the last 4 bolts towards the firewall you really need to get over the intake. I used a small step ladder and layed across my radiator (i am only 5'6"..lol) to reach. I put an extension on the T30 bit and the bolts came of with very little effort.
vacuum8.jpg

To install just do everything in reverse of when you started. It really is easy, just take your time.

When you are done you will have this
053108_14081.jpg

Now to remove the fuel rail let me find the pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any way to post these pics? Thanks. I need to replace the Valve cover gasket and looking for ways to do it.

I hear stripped the last bolt by the firewall throttle body side but I can't get an extractor back there because of the cowl is there a way to weasel off the manifold? Can I live with 7 out of 8 bolt holding down the intake manifold?

I would say no.

It's going to leak.

I would say no.

It's going to leak.
@shucker1
True, that! Hey, just noticed your sig w/86 Mustang GT. Last week, I picked up a '94, getting finally desperate with the Explorer, original paint, good clearcoat, leather, 5-speed manual, 161K, 245-45ZR 17s (the optional tire) w/50+% tread left, have not found anything that don't work (yet). Runs smooth, pads >90%, $2400. Whatcha think? imp

new_mu12.jpg

new_mu10.jpg

new_mu11.jpg

@imp

Last week, I picked up a '94, getting finally desperate with the Explorer, original paint, good clearcoat, leather, 5-speed manual, 161K, 245-45ZR 17s (the optional tire) w/50+% tread left, have not found anything that don't work (yet). Runs smooth, pads >90%, $2400. Whatcha think? imp

Looks clean. Nice find.

Interior in good shape?

As for my 86 GT. The "Four Eye" was only around 2 years if I remember correctly. 85-86.

Another project car. Hoping to fit a Roush Yates 45 in there. Should fit if I did the numbers right.

@imp

Looks clean. Nice find.

Interior in good shape?

As for my 86 GT. The "Four Eye" was only around 2 years if I remember correctly. 85-86.

Another project car. Hoping to fit a Roush Yates 45 in there. Should fit if I did the numbers right.
@shucker1
The hot ticket around '85, '86 was the SVT, I think it had only the 4-cyl., but either S/C or T/C. imp

Turbo 4 cylinder. Weak link was the rear end. They only came with the 7.5"

The 5.0 came with the 8.8" Posi

Thunderbird of the same year came as the "Super Coupe" V-6 Super Charged. You had to pull the engine to change the spark plugs.

Turbo 4 cylinder. Weak link was the rear end. They only came with the 7.5"

The 5.0 came with the 8.8" Posi
@shucker1
Truly stupid of SVT! I wouldn't have thunk it of them. imp

Thunderbird of the same year came as the "Super Coupe" V-6 Super Charged. You had to pull the engine to change the spark plugs.
@shucker1
Hey, come to think of it, once when I was eyeballing a T-bird up on a lift, I noted it had IRS! Maybe early '90s? imp

I would kill for the pictures of this right now.

Cannot find anyone doing a walk through of this job.

Have a 01 sport that I went to change the thermostat housing on and one of the bolts snapped near the head. I'd assume at this point the only way I'm getting this out is to pull the intake manifold.

Back