Anybody Else Use the Reese Multifit Hitch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody Else Use the Reese Multifit Hitch?

Instead of trying to use my bumper to make a bike rack, I went out and bought the Reese multifit class 4 hitch. (Pretty cheap for only $118 at Advance Auto). Installation was fairly easy with a buddy

But I do have a question. The hitch is attached directly to the frame using only 4 bolts (not including the ones hooking the brackets to the hitch). 2 - 1/2" (torqued to 70 ft/lbs) and 2 - 5/8" (100 ft/lbs). Will that be enough to hold up my bike rack safely or tow let's say a small boat? Or should I look into drilling 2 more holes for extra protection?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll leave the bolt question to others, but as a cyclist and someone who used to sell racks and all types of bikes, here's my .02.

First off, if your putting it into a Class IV hitch, I'm assuming the rack is made for a 2" receiver w/out an adapter. Good choice on that. Secondly, remember to put the heaviest bike closest to your truck and the lightest furthes out, especially if you have a 4 bike rack. Finally, if you do have a four bike rack and a couple bikes are the heavier department store or beach cruiser variety, check and see what the rack is spec'd to hold. 4 cheaper bikes could easily be pushing 150lbs. Even the better Yakima and Thule hitch racks are only rated for 120lbs.

Thank you very much for the input Jeff. Keeping the heavy bikes close is something I didn't originally think of as a factor. For some reason I overlooked the weight rating of this rack and bought it because of the user reviews and the fact that it had locks built in. It should be in sometime within the next 2 weeks.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-br4b~40126.htm

But what exactly would be the first thing to give (break) if I did somehow overload the rack?

Overall, it looks to be a pretty sturdy design. I can't really tell how the bike cradles are attached to the main tube of the rack. If the welds are small, that might be a stress point. Otherwise, I'd keep an eye on the pivot that allows the rack to fold down. If you have any ladies bikes, this is a good adaptor...

http://www.yakima.com/racks/bike-racks/product/8002531/tubetop.aspx

LOL, :) You won't hurt the hitch with any bikes you will carry.

I figured that much. I'm just wondering if I actually tow something bigger, if the hitch will remain stable.

If the hitch claims a 500# tongue weight, I'm sure the frame can handle it. All of the hitches mount in the same way.

Back