Aux gas tank

little x

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
SW VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
I'm interested in installing a second tank where the spare tire used to be. I've read where a BII tank will fit nicely. My question is: what all, besides the tank, do I need. I'm assuming a 2nd fuel pump, since our pump is in tank. Is the BII pump in tank? If so I should get it when I get the gas tank from a scrap yard, right. How do you run all the hoses? I want to have a switch so that I can controle If fuel is comming from tank A or B. How would that be wired? Basicly, does anyone have a parts list required, and can someone explain EVERYTHING (except how to mount the extra tank).

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow...well first you will need solenoids, this is to open and close the tubes to each tank. I recommend not buying an in-tank pump. that get some relays and switches. rememebr this, as you switch from tank A to tank B, you will need to cycle the fuel pump, aka repressurize the system, just like when you first turn your car on.

the wiring is simple, go look at all the wires you have connected now, then connects relays and switches so that you can flip one switch and all the relays switch as well. good luck

Im no expert, but id say run an out of tank pump, run a second filler neck to the other side, add in relays to the stock pump to shut it on and off manually, and wire the other to a switch on the dash. And somehow splice the fuel and return lines together. And you would need to figure out a way to make the fuel return to the right tank as its being pumped.

Better question is, why do you want to do this?

sounds like alot of work for that. Why not just invest in building a good rear bumper with 1 or 2 jerry cans of fuel?

Ive def. considered that. But I was curious as to exactly how much work this would be. From the responces that I'm getting I'm thinking the fuel cans are going to be the rout I end up taking.
Here's an Idea: could I build a can holder and then bolt/weld it to my back hatch? I realize I would only be able to open the window with it full, unless I took off the can. But I've been thinking about that as an alternative to it being on the bumper. I was thinking I'd weld on some thing like a 3"x3" piece of 1/4" plate onto the door in 4 mounting places, and then bolt it up to the supports. Or would it be better to just weld it right on?

well you could do that and have it look kinda.... crappy, for lack of a better word, or build a sweet lookingbumper and throw on a spare tire and towpoints as well.

I would rob a dual tank system from an early ranger, they had a side and a rear mounted aux tank, much of the wiring/pumps/valves, filler and what not may be adaptable to the Explorer rather easily.

The BII tank is NOT an easy fit in an Explorer, it can be done yes but its not just a simple bolt in, the BII tank is tall and works under the explorer well if you have a body lift, if you dont then some major mods are required.

Another easy way for duel tank plumbing is just get all the stuff off a full sized fuel injected pickup, just check that it uses in tank pumps before you get too far in to pulling all the stuff, plumbing and wiring should be too hard, IMO the hardest part would be trying to find the right sized tank to stick out back and have it guarded enough not to be a hazard
Jerry cans are sort of a bandaid fix if your looking for more range on road trips, as for the no fuel gauge thing :confused: why not? should be easyer to put a fuel gauge in then a duel tank setup (and really needed with a duel setup imo)

The Rander 2nd tank is only 11 gal. I belive, and it was never available on a EFI truck....I don't think anyway.

When ever I get around to it, I'm working on moving my tank to where the spare was, using a F-series spare tank.

Bump!

curious if anyone accomplished mounting a B2 tank and plumbing it in?

I'm preparing my main tank to have a fitting where it can accept fuel. I would like to be able to pump from the aux tank into the main by switch. This way I feel it is more simple than the truck being about to switch between running off each tank. I'll run a separate fuel gauge to know when the aux tank is empty (or close to) as to try to prevent my pump from running dry

Any feedback is appreciated and I'm still researching

Just found a thread on fitting a 91' E-150. (More clearance)

Not sure why my first reply got butched, I mounted a B2 tank in my second gen, definitely wasn't bolt in. Had to cut away a large section of the rear body mount and rework it, did this for ground clearance, (no body lift). I deleted the stock tank so just lenghthened the wires and fuel lines. Made mounts for stock B2 tank straps. Worked great. I'll see if I can find pictures

Bump!

curious if anyone accomplished mounting a B2 tank and plumbing it in?

I'm preparing my main tank to have a fitting where it can accept fuel. I would like to be able to pump from the aux tank into the main by switch. This way I feel it is more simple than the truck being about to switch between running off each tank. I'll run a separate fuel gauge to know when the aux tank is empty (or close to) as to try to prevent my pump from running dry

Any feedback is appreciated and I'm still researching

Just found a thread on fitting a 91' E-150. (More clearance)

i also thought about something like that, i seems to be the easiest way, just use the secondary tank to fill up the stock one

If all you want is extra range, and you aren't afraid of cutting and welding in an auxiliary tank, why not just replace your stock tank with a larger tank (instead of using an auxillary tank plus the stock tank).

I would think that with enough ingenuity you could just find a way to mount a full size tank in there and get 18-28 gallons (depending on what you use) and then all the plumbing that would be required would be extending the fuel lines and electrical to wherever the new tank is.

Or, even better, find someone who can really fabricate and get them to make you a giant L shaped tank that takes up the space the current explorer tank is in and then also extends to where the spare tire was.

i also thought about something like that, i seems to be the easiest way, just use the secondary tank to fill up the stock one

If all you want is extra range, and you aren't afraid of cutting and welding in an auxiliary tank, why not just replace your stock tank with a larger tank (instead of using an auxillary tank plus the stock tank).

I would think that with enough ingenuity you could just find a way to mount a full size tank in there and get 18-28 gallons (depending on what you use) and then all the plumbing that would be required would be extending the fuel lines and electrical to wherever the new tank is.

Or, even better, find someone who can really fabricate and get them to make you a giant L shaped tank that takes up the space the current explorer tank is in and then also extends to where the spare tire was.

I like the idea of one large tank but there really isn't room to extend a tank where it currently is. Firstly, a tank extended back would force me to move the shock outside the frame and secondly the cost of building a tank of that sort isn't justified for me.

Ended up finding more information that an older F150 rear tank (90s) is the best dimension wise 34-3/4 In. x 27 In. x 7-7/8 In. That tank (19 gallons) combined with my explorer tank (21 gallons) gives me a 40 gallon total. I'm hoping to push 1000kms (highway) out of both tanks... 600 miles :D

Needed my current tank repaired because I put a hole in it on a trip, I changed the fuel line to pump fittings to AN fittings, and added a bung to the side at the rear with a 90* in prep for the second tank. hopefully get that all back in this week.

I like the idea of one large tank but there really isn't room to extend a tank where it currently is. Firstly, a tank extended back would force me to move the shock outside the frame and secondly the cost of building a tank of that sort isn't justified for me.

Ended up finding more information that an older F150 rear tank (90s) is the best dimension wise 34-3/4 In. x 27 In. x 7-7/8 In. That tank (19 gallons) combined with my explorer tank (21 gallons) gives me a 40 gallon total. I'm hoping to push 1000kms (highway) out of both tanks... 600 miles :D

Needed my current tank repaired because I put a hole in it on a trip, I changed the fuel line to pump fittings to AN fittings, and added a bung to the side at the rear with a 90* in prep for the second tank. hopefully get that all back in this week.

Nice, did you just welded AN steel fittings to it or are they the aluminium bulkhead type? I was looking into the plastic fuel cells from places like jegs, they have all different sizes and dimensions, and for around $150 seems like a good deal, at that point all you need is a inline fuel pump, some fittings and hose, and a bit of wiring. The only thing that may be a bit tricky would be figuring out a easy way to fill it up.

Nice, did you just welded AN steel fittings to it or are they the aluminium bulkhead type? I was looking into the plastic fuel cells from places like jegs, they have all different sizes and dimensions, and for around $150 seems like a good deal, at that point all you need is a inline fuel pump, some fittings and hose, and a bit of wiring. The only thing that may be a bit tricky would be figuring out a easy way to fill it up.

Sorry for the late reply, must have missed the alert!

The shop that fixed the hole in my tanked added the fitting, looking at 90s F-series rear tanks. I saw a suggestion to make the filler on the other side (passenger side) of the truck, not sure where i will put it yet, probably wont know until i have the tank and acutally start placing it into the truck

Back