Awd binding issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Awd binding issue

brettly86

Reaction score
Whenever I pull into or out of a parking spot or make sharp turns it's like my awd is binding. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't have any details for your vehicle so it would be hard for us to guess...

Also binding - what do you mean by that?

Which engine.

Crystal Ball says bad viscous coupler.

Lol bro

You don't have any details for your vehicle so it would be hard for us to guess... Also binding - what do you mean by that?
it makes a growling noise intermittently. Like grrrrr........ Grrrrrr....... Grrrrrrr...... In reverse and forward when turning sharp. I do have my torsion bars turned all the way in due to bad ball joints. If that would make any difference by turning them back out a bit?

Brettly, are your wheel bearings in good shape, and how about the half shafts? Also check the prop shaft. And I must say I am curious about the torsion bars...you are saying the ball joiints are shot? And the torsion bars, did you raise or lowr?

Brettly, are your wheel bearings in good shape, and how about the half shafts? Also check the prop shaft. And I must say I am curious about the torsion bars...you are saying the ball joiints are shot? And the torsion bars, did you raise or lowr?
I did an alignment on it about a month ago and the only way I could get the camber right on was to raise the torsions all the way. My torsions are fine my wheel bearings are good. I replaced my u joints in the front prop shaft a while ago. My OD light was flashing the other day And It wouldn't go into OD. Scanned for codes. The code was p0741 torque converter clutch stuck off. I cleared the code. It now shifts just fine but the binding is still there.

My ball joints are a bit on the bad side. The half shafts seem to be ok. No excessive movement.

Something is very wrong in the front end if you have to crank the torsion bars all the way up to fix the camber. Might want to figure that out. It will wear out your CV joints faster. (That may have something to do with the binding too.)

As for the binding on turns, it sounds like there is a problem in the transfer case (i.e. viscous coupler), or maybe the front diff. Might be electrical, but probably not. You need to narrow the source down some more.

There are a lot of threads here with almost the exact same question. Look at some of those for suggestions on diagnosing it.

Agree - your CV's will wear fast of the angles are off just a bit.
I would investigate the primary cause that lead you to that alignment camber being so off.
I would suspect the lower ball joints or even the hubs.

Camber kit

Back