AWD converted to 2wd | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD converted to 2wd

Do they have a dummy cv shaft for a 98 explorer? Or something that I can put in there to keep the tire from coming off?
1587341430074.png

1587341713211.png

Use disassembled cv stub end outer, no axle shaft, to secure hub and bearings to spindle, using hub shown above, which contains bearings. Old cv OK, does nothing but clamp bearings in place with the big nut.

To your bearing comment: You have a 3rd gen (02-05 4 Door), they redesigned the hubs for that generation. The 2nd gen wheel bearings (95-01 4 door, 02-03 2 door, and 01-05 sport tracs) were held together by the compression of the cv shaft nut. I have had a friend forget to install the dummy CV shafts in a 03 sport trac the bearing separated and the tire fell off. There are other stories on here corroborating this.

Also, your 05 does not have AWD, it is 4wd with a selectable 4-LO. This thread was in reference to the Borg Warner 4404 AWD t-case that uses a viscous clutch to transfer power to all wheels with no driver or computer input found on the 5.0 V8 Explorers.
Or do I just need to replace the whole hub?
View attachment 315010
View attachment 315011

Use disassembled cv stub end outer, no axle shaft, to secure hub and bearings to spindle, using hub shown above, which contains bearings. Old cv OK, does nothing but clamp bearings in place with the big nut.
So pretty much take the cv axles out disassemble the whole thing and put back in the piece you shown? The little stub of the cv axle.

Or do I just need to replace the whole hub?

2wd uses a spindle knuckle with bearings, completely different than the unit bearing in the 4x4 knuckle. However, you can swap the knuckles out if you prefer, everything attaches the same way. If you go that route you will need 2wd discs and bearings and all associated hardware. Calipers are the same though. On another note, I'd suggest finding 2wd knuckles off an 02-up sport or sport trac. Ford opted to give them 12" discs over the 11.6" of the 2nd gen 4 door. Calipers match up and if you are getting new discs why not spring for the upgrade?

If I were doing this conversion I'd install the 2WD spindles and brake rotors with salvage yard parts, but the least expensive thing to do would be to stay with the 4WD stub axles and loose all the 4WD/AWD parts. Either way will net you the same results.

Back